Author Topic: Windy this weekend  (Read 980 times)

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
Windy this weekend
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »
On Saturday, I was outside with my 30" windmill that has two blades that were perfectly cut on a CNC machine and a dc pump motor that is about 4 inches long and 3" in diameter.  Anyways, it was really windy (probably about 30 mph) and I managed to put out 9 volts at 3.4 amps into 6 AA batteries.  Based on 30.4 watts and my previous tests, that means the prop must have been spinning at 3,000 rpm!

Here is my power graph from my tests with my drill press.

I can't wait until this winter hits so I can see some 40mph winds.  I may even go down to Presque Isle on Lake Erie on beach 10 with a short tower and dig it in to the sand for a few minutes.  Of course, that's gonna be really cold with wind chills at -40....

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:01:38 PM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Windy this weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »
I had fun a few years ago hooking up LED's to my battery system for christmas lights.  In your case, you couldn't just use the stock strings from Canadian Tire, but with a few cuts and splices here and there, or making your own...  (Just the first idea that came to mind)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:30:24 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca