Author Topic: variable resistor with high winds  (Read 1668 times)

quest0111

variable resistor with high winds
« on: December 11, 2009, 03:27:37 AM »
My 10' turbine was set up to stall so I used a variable resistor between rectifier and battery. Last couple day we had winds gusting to 60 mph. So I had it shut off getting no usable power. I thought to use a jumper wire with alligator clamps to bypass the resistor and it worked very well to keep turbine under control giving me almost stead 10 amps. Is this a good way to control turbine in strong winds?

Thanks,

Barry
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:27:37 AM by (unknown) »

quest0111

Re: variable resistor with high winds
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:36:35 AM »
It should be more wind = less resistance
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:36:35 AM by quest0111 »

Opera House

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Another option is to use diodes in series .  Each diode will raise the stall voltage 0.6V.  These can be used in parallel with your resistor to still enable low speed charging.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:37:31 AM by Opera House »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
If you can control it reliably in stall then fine, it is a good method. The thing to watch is that it might at some point pull out of stall.

If you can prove it is safe in the highest wind you are likely to get then fine.

Obviously it would be far better to fix the furling so that it will limit itself to a safe current with the resistor in circuit. Not being stalled at any point it would never risk pulling through it. Then in high winds you could short the resistor and let it keep running at low current quite peacefully and safely.

If you managed 60 mph safely then I am inclined to think you will be safe especially as you seem to have a powerful alternator that will stop in a 60 mph wind and run stalled in the same. It may even be furling while running stalled but if it won't furl at a safe current with the resistor in then I suspect it is mainly relying on stall control.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:35:49 AM by Flux »

quest0111

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:46:54 AM »
It furls fine but have read to just shut it down in high winds. Shorting the resistor keeps it running slow but it doent seem to furl when shorted. Right now the amp meter is before the resistor and I'm going to move it to after it.

Thanks for replies

Barry
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:46:54 AM by quest0111 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:13:08 AM »
If it furls at a safe current in high winds and you need the power then it should be ok to leave it running. It really depends on whether it furls below a current that will survive continuously rather than just an occasional peak.

If you need some power but prefer a slow lazy life in high winds then I suspect shorting the resistor will be fine.

As you say it most likely doesn't furl stalled and if it did break stall with the lower circuit resistance it may furl at too high a current but that is not very likely by your description.

No point in moving the ammeter, current in a series circuit is the same wherever you measure it.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:13:08 AM by Flux »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
When "flying" the blades decelerate the air through the whole of the swept area (and pull power from it).  This creates a lot of downwind force on the blades (via the downwind side lift) and thus a lot of furling force.

When "stalled" (airflow detached from the back of the blades, turning slowly) the blades decelerate mainly the air that hits them.  So the downwind furling force is much smaller and the mill typically doesn't yaw-furl.  However at that point it is stall-furled, which also protects it from overspeed stresses and burnout.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:40:20 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

quest0111

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
Thanks for the information, wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:51:25 PM by quest0111 »