Author Topic: Is there an update page for Dan's windmill book ?  (Read 2020 times)

GeeWiz

Is there an update page for Dan's windmill book ?
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »
I did a few searches here in the forum, but did not find any results that included updates to the Dan's wonderful windmill book.  

I also noticed that Hugh has a new book out and having attended his course, and built his windmill I'm wondering how different his plans are from the Dan's. (ya, I'll probably spend the $ and just buy hugh's book too)

I remember seeing some posts concerning updates, I'm just having trouble locating them.

Thanks for any pointers..

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:33:34 PM by (unknown) »

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
Re: Is there an update page for Dan's windmill boo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
Non comunication is not that great of an idea. It allows people to make up their own reasons why there are no replies to this very valid question. They are never flattering.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:32:39 AM by Ronnn »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Is there an update page for Dan's windmill boo
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
Maybe nobody knows?

Maybe one of the authors will respond, maybe not? It would seem prudent for them to do so?

I simply do not know or would have posted any info I have.

Poor communication seems systemic for those that run the place. Not much to say beyond that.

Sorry I don't have an answer.

There are posts scattered through the forum WRT issues with the book but no repository of them all in some logical spot.

There you have it.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:05:35 AM by TomW »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
Re: Is there an update page for Dan's book ?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
My old plans (2005 how to build a wind turbine) were fine, at least for the 8 and ten footers, but my new recipe book shows some much easier ways to do stuff.  And I was never very happy with my 12 footer plans from 2005 although a lot of people have had good results with that.

You will find some differences between my Recipe plans and the Homebrew book.  A lot of people mix and match and add their own ideas.  The biggest difference in philosophy is that I go for bigger rotors (and stators and optimise the use of magnets whereas the Dans go for big magnets and thus optimise the available rotor size.  

I would argue that it's cheaper to go for bigger alternators with bigger area of copper wire and so reduce the resistance and increase the cooling surface rather than spend big bucks on magnets and cram them into a small space.  I also have some different ideas for the frame and tail of the turbine, which I think are simple and strong.  I respect the way George does his welding of course if you can be that good at welding to do stuff like that.  But for me its more about getting something that is easy to build, strong and functional.

Mostly the recipe book is about giving a large number of options for size and voltage in a structured way.  I have a lot of enquiries every day and I know that people need to do things differently from the standard way so I help out with their questions and the recipe book was an attempt to meet those questions although there are always more.

People do ask how to build a bigger turbine and for that the Homebrew book does offer a 17 footer which is great.  I am gradually experimenting with larger sizes in the standard recipe too and you can see what we did in Ireland last year at http://www.scoraigwind.com/ireland09/index.htm which was 4.8 metres or close to 16 feet diameter, while based on most of the same principles.

You can find my updates to the Recipe book here http://www.scoraigwind.com/axialplans/recipe%20update/index.htm although they are all included in the versions that have been on sale since last summer.  They do not include the Irish design, but you can find a lot of the details in the web photo diary in the link above.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:33:00 AM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
slow reply....
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply, you probably won't catch it at all at this point.  Some posts (and emails for me) seem to be important but when they fall off the bottom of my monitor I forget about them...

There is a page intended for the purpose although we've not posted much on it lately.  Perhaps the main reason is I don't have many new updates for the 10' turbine past the fact that stuff that got into the book as side bars, right before printing it.

The page for the book is here: homebrewwindpower.com  (and that is actually in the bok I think)

There is a lot of new stuff we've been doing on other sizes of machines I would like to write about soon though.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:06:44 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.