Author Topic: 48 V 1000 W electric bike hub motor wind turbine...  (Read 19727 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Xantrex C40 Wiring - Diversion Load
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 07:45:27 AM »
TomW;

Not sure but will ask. I know it's a full month since you put this thingy up here about posting the G- dump controller.

Sorry am just getting back to posting, had a small "issue" a while back that took me offline for a bit.

Would you still like real world posting on this or did I miss the boat? again :(..

Cheers;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:45:27 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
Bruce;

I don't miss much that goes through here despite the glacial slowness of the forum.

WRT that dozenaires controller:

Certainly. Are you implying you have one?

I can't seem to find mine yet but that is another issue

We trail that line behind specifically so guys like you can grab hold to catch up,

One of my pet peeves is people applying "expert" knowledge gleaned from an outside discipline to DIY endeavors and making blanket statements of "fact" that do not apply to DIY projects. I did this myself in the early days thinking I could apply resonance and impedance matching as factors in getting the most out of a turbine. I was certain it mattered but it doesn't WRT battery charging. The Devil is in the details.

Plus it has been rumored I can be a cranky jerk at times. Old soldiers don't die they just get meaner and more intolerant as their battle scars age.

What are your experiences with this controller from Hurd Solar at http://www.ghurd.info ?

Tom

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:17:43 AM by TomW »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
TomW.

1? nope got 3 :) these are setup at 12V and if I may speak a 4-letter word .

They're dam good too, I'll bet my 80Amps of NiCd set on them working, like the ole boy puts it, set it and forget it.

Remember the post about the exploding pack? Well an old ARMY 63H20 mechanic made to go 'puter stuff ( long story involving 660VAC ( German P/L) and a 11/2 ton electric wench) can learn a thing or too.

ALL my packs now do not yet exceed 20Amp at 14.4Vdc, which is where the dump controller comes into play.

I have a non-built spare if you want me to tweak it up to 24Vdc and ship it out.

Come to think of it, this would be a good time to try it out with a small 24V NiCd pack, so I'd have it set for ~29Vdc to accommodate the diff of being NiCds.

Hey don't tell G- I still have one left :).

I'm not in the loop on your crankyness :) Of ALL the years I've been posting, even during those early years of HF panels and the little mistakes of bills and such, I've not known you to go off on me so I may have missed one or too.

I'm told here at work that I must be ex-MIL_spec cause I have this thing about brutal honesty...

Battle scars... oh dear... my one big post some 3 years ago that included the bombing of the Abram's Army hospital building in Frankfurt in '76. Yep scars... got a few :)) I have been told that beer helps... that's still under field trials :)).

Controllers: Here's MY REAL world stuff.

I was using a morningstar SS-6 for the 5/6 HF panels, this I just could not get to keep the NiCds up where I wanted them, so I moved it over to 1 HR panel with 1 12Vdc 18Ahr SLA for giggles.

The 4 20Ahr 14.4 NiCd packs are connected via a single line coming from a weather proof combiner box that has the wires into it w/each HF panel having a diode to keep them isolated from each other input power wise. This combined set then goes to a bus-bar that is connected via G- wiring diagram on http://www.ghurd.info.

Before I connected the controller I put 1 14.4V pack on our test unit here at work, charged it up completely then hooked up the controller until it just turned on the dump LED. Done haven't touched it since and I can power up the 700 watt Nuker or 4-cup coffee maker anytime.

To be honest I drain the buggers on purpose to see if it's hurting the batteries and they seem to love the useage.

Spring is here, the 48V e-bike is out and ready for these 4 packs to go in it.

WE need a face-to-Face beer chat. I also need to get up to see G and Norm too.

Sorry for the long a delayed post, not as fast as I used to be...

Prost

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:48:44 PM by Bruce S »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
I have a bit of "a brand new freezer that won't fit through the back door sinking in the back yard issue" at the moment.

But I'm up for it.

I'll bring a keg of extra-super-cheap beer, and a few pounds of hot glue to ensure proper vision.

Bruce brings nicds, and one of the functioning controllers.

TomW brings something obviously obvious, and a definitive measurement of his own scars being either 39 or 54mm long.

Norm brings Folgers... or Maxwell House... hopefully Easter eggs and Maxwell House lids.

Pretty sure I can get a few more guys there too.

And we will meet at Barb's house?

I will not sign this one to protect my anonymousedness.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:40:49 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
Yikes.

That 39/54 thing does not read like it did when I typed it.

Sorry.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:58:29 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »
Barb? and who is Barb? OR need I not ask?

That new freezer, is it solid state?

I have the NiCds, can hand them over to who ever get there first, OH wait we're meeting at TomW's okay I'll bring extra batt-packs.

With 6 grand kids Easter eggs will abound so I'll bring the empties.

G- let me know when your next AK fishing trip is, after the trip to Philippines I'm open for staying away from honey-due lists for a bit.

NO ONE brings a camera comprendee.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:10:58 PM by Bruce S »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
I can't do a road trip til at least mid May or after the wife gets the hip surgery done. Til then my calendar is full. No complaints just my priority now.

I just lost a freezer I had been suspicious of all winter. Funny coincidence.

I can grub up some goodies for such a get together, just need to know what could be useful. Lots of stuff goes through my surplus supplier.

Bruce;

Got my eye on a couple 3 wheel electric carts used in factories to use on the farm rather than the gas powered ATV. Bit like golf carts on steroids steel bodies. Brands I can't recall.

Might need a truckload of your special recipe electron lockers for power storage after recycling the obviously hosed lead acids in them.

Sorry for further diversion of the thread.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:23:59 PM by TomW »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »
TomW

Understand about the no worries on the road trip. Take care of the wifey, I'd do the same.

GRUB, So long as it's dead cooked beyond  mooing and not camel, I'm okay.

Might not even need to stock up, depending on what's found on the road while en-route.

Let me know the motor size and I'll keep as many as possible.

Right now the bulk is headed to Norm for the rebuild for the Philippines trip, after that its open.

Will be another good test. Last big test was 1000w 12vdc inverter to see if they would hold. After the initial spark for the Caps (scary all by itself, but always is) it ran.  

Cheers;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:31:22 PM by Bruce S »