Author Topic: coupling sleeve  (Read 2275 times)

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
coupling sleeve
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
So I did a search to find more posts about coupling sleeves. Got zero for an answer. Please, what is so hard about changing this clunky software to something that loads and searches properly? You would think the search engine would at least find the post I had just read. Right or wrong the spelling is the same.

So.....in a 60',  4" schedual 40 tower what length should the coupling sleeve be?  I would think of it as section on mine since it will go inside the 4"pipe.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:32:15 PM by (unknown) »

halfcrazy

Re: coupling sleeve
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »
I used 24 inch pieces of 3.5 inch pipe to go inside my 4 inch tower pipe. I did not use it for guy wires though I had my local steel supplier punch out Pad eye's and welded them to the tower at appropriate intervals.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:53:11 PM by halfcrazy »

freejuice

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
Hi Ron,

I did the same thing on a 60 ft 4 inch sch 40 tower, hopefully I can get it up this weekend.

I did exactly as half crazy did; I lined the tower bore with a piece of 3-1/2 sch 40 at each connection point.

At one point I was going to also use some 10 inch long Morris Couplings on the outside at each connection point but decided against it, or any outside coupling when I found a "quick and dirty" way to connect the sections  ala Hugh Piggott style....you can see it, just click on my screen name then "files"

I really like the way Hugh did his connenction points its a real novel way to do it. It does indeed make for a stong connection point....while it might not be to smooth looking as the eye goes down the tower, it does however speed things along.... even if it is a real fashion risk :o)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:41:02 PM by freejuice »

halfcrazy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
If you sleeve it internally and then weld each side of the 4 inch pipe I don't think there is any need for the strong backs. A good but welded sleeved joint is as strong as the pipe.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:36:37 PM by halfcrazy »

hayfarmer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »

what do think about this design?

any suggestions before sparks fly?

should I weld on gin pole or bolt it to pivot stub?

thanks

http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/16067/35_ft_tower_001.jpg

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:06:49 AM by hayfarmer »

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »
Thanks half crazy and freejuice, Anything wrong with attaching guys at or near the places where the 4" pipe is joined. I will peobably have four sections welded together.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:01:57 PM by Ronnn »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »
My 60' tower uses these.

http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/74/Tower_pipe_joiner.jpg

they are not welded to the tower and the guy anchors attach to joining piece but there are also some anchors welded to the tower it's self.

allan

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:32:19 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

freejuice

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:50:28 AM »
Hi Ronn,

I wouldnt think it would be a problem....but I still have to get mine up...hopefully tomorrow!

The reason I welded mine up is because I will probably finish out my life here...I doubt I will be moving ...everything is paid for. So I won't need to disassemble it, hopefully.

If you have Hugh Piggott's book, he does exaclty that, he is welding the tower anchor points at the junctions and drills a hole through the plates for the guy wires....I did not think of something like that before I started, thus my setup is a little "bassackwards" I have the tower anchor points just below the tower junctions.

However it looks like everyone; all the heavy hittters who have built towers in forum are attaching the guys at the tower connection points using various methods and it appears to have worked out great.

All the best,

Gavin

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:50:28 AM by freejuice »

imsmooth

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
Read here:

http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/axial2.html

You can adjust the length of the tube section as you desire.  The one I made was for attaching the guy wires since I already had some couplers, and I needed some guys higher up.  If I was attaching poles with this I would go for a two foot length.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:18:32 AM by imsmooth »

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
Thanks Gavin, I'm also not going anywhere. I like here too much. Been here almost 30 years. Hope to get started on my tower soon. I don't have Hugh's book. Are his ideas on towers worth buying the book?

Ron
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:18:25 PM by Ronnn »

freejuice

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
Hi Ronn,

I you were to buy Hugh's book just for the tower coupling idea alone, well it depends... maybe or maybe not. It would have been worth it to me if I had a rock solid plan before I welded the anchor points on, LOL... thus that idea alone would have been worth the book itself! However Hugh's book and the Dan's book together is a must have for me...they both complement each other.... most in part they have separate ideas on doing things especially in the metal work....thus both books will give you different ideas and concepts to build a "hybrid".

In essence (it appears to me) Hugh spends much of his time perfecting blades and getting the mills up on sturdy mechanical frames and making good power, Likewise so does Otherpower team, but their mechanical parts are cool to look at.

I'm going to build a 17 footer one day, I will probalby merge both styles, Hugh has his designed to be almost effortless and simple in construction for those folks like me who are somewhat impatient to see results, its a lot more simple straight cuts on angle iron and flat bar... yet I like the spindle mounting feature from the Dans....what the heck, combine the both!

Have fun!

Gavin

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM by freejuice »