Author Topic: looking for a cheap off the shelf power output logger.  (Read 1491 times)

youmanskids

looking for a cheap off the shelf power output logger.
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but i've serched the board and cant find a cheap off the shelf, simple amp logger.  alot of guys have built data loggers with a picaxe or butterfly logger and hall effects sensors etc.. but I'd just like an off the shelf meter.  I have a Bogart Trimetric 2020 monitoring my battery useage and charge status but this misses the dump current and the direct turbine-to-inverter current.  I'd like something similer to the Trimetric but just a simple (and cheaper than $180 for shunt and meter) cumulative amp counter to directly measure (and log) the DC current comming out of my rectifier assembly.  the point is to just get a simple long term picture of how many KWH its making over the months and yrs.  anyone know of such an off the shelf product?  thanks in advance.  Roger
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:09:46 PM by (unknown) »
Praise be to God of the universe, who gives us WIND for power.

GWatPE

Re: looking for a cheap off the shelf power...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:50:31 AM »
There are many kWhr meters, plug in type that are for AC power.  Someone may already have tried to adapt these for DC operation.  If they have a 4 quadrant multiplier, then they should work for DC.

I use PICaxe, and PC logging for my own DC monitoring , and CurrentCost for the AC.  I log 5 separate systems, and wrote my own logging software for PICaxe, and CurrentCost.  Have a new 16 channel unit ready as well.

I have one of these units, that I can probably get to check for DC operation, unless someone has beat me to it.

Gordon.

PS:  For the forum admin.  Many topics seem to be around 50 chars long.  When you reply, the "Re: " is added, and this makes it over the 50 char limit.  Can replies be automatically truncated to 50 to avoid the replier having to check and resubmit??

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:50:31 AM by GWatPE »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: looking for a cheap off the shelf power output
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:22 AM »
is a "Doc Wattson" or "Watts Up" good enough ?

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/8/14/4520/17130
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:19:22 AM by wooferhound »

Rover

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
Might need 2 of them if he is doing Watts in and out (probably on separate wires)....

If I didn't want to build my own data logger (or have someone build it, and it met all my needs) , I'd probably have bough a Dr.W .

Building your own does have some adavantages... basically its up to you choose what you need to build ... for I wanted, I needed to log 4 or more current readings.. in/out, voltages, transmit wirelessly to my pc (where the data is actual stored in a real database), I had to build my own.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:13:30 PM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

youmanskids

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »
hey thanks Woofer, the doc watson will do perfectly, logs up to 650 kwh, I can record and reset monthly to get a long term record of output.  just ordered one from RC electronics, $79 with shipping. thanks again, you all are very helpful.  Roger
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:22:16 PM by youmanskids »

youmanskids

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:24:13 PM »
thanks for the reply,  I just orded a dr watson for the turbine output side, I already have a Timetric 2020 for the battery input/output side.  thanks guys.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:24:13 PM by youmanskids »