Notices > Polls

What is your Internet Connection Speed ?

<< < (2/10) > >>

TomW:
A few years ago I helped build an ISP infrastructure here to bring a dialup replacement to rural areas. My compensation for that work was free use of the system. It is NOT fast but it is faster than dialup and faster than anything else available except satellite. I still get it free of cost but, alas, the ISP has been smothered by latecomers to town with cheap access. At least in town. Out here it is still a wasteland of junk telco lines put in when Roosevelt was in the White House I think?

My particular link involves 3 farm silos with repeaters, 2 radio towers with point to point setups all to an ISP that only has a dual T1 at the ISP. We offered the very first internet access in this county first with a BBS and then real dialup iand wireless nternet.

Sadly the ISP is slowly being put out of business by the "Big Boys" like so many mom and pop businesses in this country.

We have a plan to keep it alive for a cadre of rural users who require decent internet for business should it fail.

Bottom line is:

Not everyone lives in high speed internet territory and I am one of them. Just how I do internet.

It is partly why our garage looks like this:

The mesh grid is for internet the dishes are no longer used because we do not use Satellite TV anymore but they were in use with my DreamBox when the photos were taken and the solar array has tripled in size from 300 watts  to 850 watts since that photo was taken in January of '05.

Because I checked "other" in the poll

Tom

rjames:
Dial-up UGH!!! One day maybe can afford upgrade?

bob g:
comcast cable here in the tacoma area
varies between ~40 and 54mbps

when i relocate to the country, i am afraid i will be very upset having to
go way down it speed.

i remember going from dialup the cable, wow!!!!

what took several minutes was nearly instantaneous after changing to cable.

yes we have come a long ways since 14.4kbps on dial up.
using a 386 model 80 ibm microchannel.

dictabird rip  :-*

bob g

halfcrazy:
I have a wireless setup from a local isp 1.5mbs

esc:
I have a 500 MB connection at work, 5MB at home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version