Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Pedal generator - 300 watts :-)

(1/3) > >>

gotwind2:
A new forum, a new start  ;)
Today I have been playing with the 3 phase brushless motors used in electric bicycles.
China are reportedly manufacturing 12 million of this type of motors per year, so there should be a lot more around soon on the likes of ebay/scrap e.t.c
They are just about perfect as wind turbine alternator donors, brushless, Neo magnets, low rpm, typically 1 volt per 9rpm (on the 48v versions).

I managed to generate 300 watts via pedal power :D with a 24v unit and a gear ratio of 3.4:1
That was hard going, 100 watts was sustained for 15 minutes, then I was knackered.

Cogging was non existent as the stator core teeth are skewed - On an electric bike, freewheeling needs to be as smooth as possible, another advantage for wind power useage.

Well, 299 watts peak.

zap:
Nice Ben.
Do you know the make and model of the hub?

I have a small one still on a Tres Terra Europa but I'm pretty sure it's a geared hub w/freewheel so I'd need to hack it to get regen.

I'm jealous of the 299 watts... a database of suitable hub motors would be nice.

gotwind2:
Hi Zap.
Make and model unknown I'm afraid, certainly Chinese in origin judging by the stickers, it is stamped as 24v, 500w - It was a U.K. eBay purchase.
I agree a database of models versus performance would be great, they certainly far out perform the Ametek motors that have become almost extinct and way over priced now.
I paid £100 ($175) for this hub motor and wheel + an unneeded front wheel, which I will sell on.

These motors would make a very nice wind turbine alternator, my only concern is the slightly light duty axle mount, when only supported on one side only.
I know a couple of guys running such units without a problem so far.

Make sure they are of the larger diameter ungeared type, the smaller diameter, fatter hub motors utilise planetry gears that add friction, as you alluded to.

REdiculous:
What size blades would you use if you were gonna run it as a 'mill? What size would you use for a 250w hub motor? Would using more but shorter blades work? Just curious..maybe an extra long fork could work to support the other side?

I was just thinking about getting a couple of these to play with too. The more I think about it the more I want to rip my trailer apart so I can use the treadmill parts for something that can use the power. One of these hub motors would cut out the external motor and the gearing so I'd have a much nicer looking trailer for it.

Think they could be made to work for water too?..for a day/week/month?

300w is awesome!...I say when you're doing the work you should always round up!  8)

Sr WiNdTeCh:
http://www.fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,140944.html
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1757.msg8910#new

I'm selling this motor.... and everything I have so far...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version