Remote Living > Transportation

push-trailer update

(1/12) > >>

REdiculous:
I finally almost got it...

I needed another big gear reduction on my trailer so I made a 'chainring to freewheel sprocket adapter' out of a steel pan I'd tossed out in the shop 10yrs ago. As soon as I opened the door to the shop I saw it in the far corner laying on top of the old dishes, kind of poking out just begging for a new life. A few minutes with a pen, a drill-press, a saw and a file and it was done.  8)

With the 48t sprocket on the wheel the trailer is geared for a top speed of 30mph. Too bad I can't supply the power needed for that..yet...so I was thinking about getting a larger chainring for the wheel. My real goal is closer to 20mph anyway since that's what the local law allows and it'll take too much power to go much faster. If I put a 60t sprocket on the wheel instead then my max speed will be closer to 23mph.

I still need to get another 12v, 20ah battery and a 1kw inverter. Then I can drive my motor at up to 900w, limited by the controller (and capacity) and I might actually be able to achieve the speed it's geared for. If I can keep it from throwing chains that is...

..which I'm having trouble with. The chain on the motor side came off right away so I made a new one from a different/newer chain that was slightly shorter/tighter for the same number of links and it seemed to stay on a lot better. So then it threw the chain on the other side. Then someone rang the dinner bell..heh. More later and I'll get pics soon-ish.

Have a good one! :)

Bruce S:
RE;
 the biggest problem we had with the pedal & hub-motor trike was the chain and it's derailing system. The chain is really touchy and must be as true and square to the sprockets as possible.

Is the steel pan smiling now :-)? making the happy I'm loved happy dance for you <LOL>.

Some of the older APC 1500 watt UPS's have the 12V18Ahr batteries in them, most get toasted by the charger cooking them, but most are still in usable shape for testing and tweaking.
Have fun!!
Bruce S

REdiculous:
Man I wish I had a trike! I prefer tadpole but either is fun. I can't imagine having gears through a normal derailleur though...internal 3+speed hub ok.

The pan-dapter is working great and it seems to be running true. While bench testing it, if I don't tilt the trailer in either direction too far then both chains will stay on at full speed, it just the length of the chain that's slightly off. In practice it tilts so I just need a way to adjust the tension. I'll probably use rollerblade wheels..I dunno...

I've actually been thinking it's time to give up the current setup..instead I could use one of those hub motors and be done with it. I'd want a new trailer frame but that would be really easy to put together. Then I could start thinking about building a tadpole to put the treadmill parts on...where the potential might see some real use.

But first I'm gonna try to get this working anyway..so that means chain tensioners or some kind or guides on both sides. It'll only make the transmission losses worse, but if I can get enough power through the motor it'll work for a few minutes anyway.

On a new machine, if I made another adapter I might be able to use a steel freewheel hub (no spokes/rim) instead of the backwards crank design...that would make it easier to make a mounting since I could use slots like the rear of a bike. Then I could adjust the tension on a fixed-mounted motor too. anyway...heh...live an learn...that's what this was for. :)

REdiculous:
If the attachment works then it'll show my bike and the little trailer I made today. I added a luggage rack to it after the pic was taken but I'm not sure I like it. I'll reserve judgement until it has a net bottom on it though.

I think if I can find a cheap hub motor I'm gonna go that way since I could probably just add it to this trailer (along w/ lead weights). yup yup

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: REdiculous on April 14, 2010, 09:17:15 PM ---If the attachment works then it'll show my bike and the little trailer I made today. I added a luggage rack to it after the pic was taken but I'm not sure I like it. I'll reserve judgement until it has a net bottom on it though.

I think if I can find a cheap hub motor I'm gonna go that way since I could probably just add it to this trailer (along w/ lead weights). yup yup

--- End quote ---
RE: The bike looks quite comfortable :).  I'm a little worried about where the neck attachment is, but it maybe the pic doesn't show close enough detail.
A Hub motor as a pusher type should do nicely , and I would think a kit that come with a controller would do very nicely. Goldenmotor people have a 72V 5k brushless unit that I'm currently drooling over  ;D.

Li-based  batteries would keep the weight issue off the trailer, but you could source SLA and have them mounted to a nice low center of gravity and still have some pocket change left over. They would work until you settled on a design then jump to other battery types.
How well does it handle when turning corners?

Looking good!
Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version