Author Topic: diversion controller [DULICATE CLOSED]  (Read 1143 times)

(unknown)

diversion controller [DULICATE CLOSED]
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:44:36 AM »
I purchased a commercial diversion controller for $129. I must have had to much current on the diversion load and the controller stopped working. I soaked the box in petrol to disolve the tar and this is what I found. . 1 bosch 50 amp relay $4.75. 1 zenner diode 25 cents. 1 reed relay $3.80. 2 x 220 uf capacitors 25 v $0.25 each. 1 printed circuit board wouldn't cost more then 2 dollars to make. 1 plastic container 1 dollar or less a bit of tar also cheap. The whole unit wouldn't cost more the $15 dollars to make and the Zenner diode can be sellected to suit the type of batteries you are charging. see up loaded photo for simple circuit diagram.  Not sure if copy right but I drew the circuit based on the hardware I had in front of me. This controller can be used to drive a high amp relay so that the 50 amp relay doesn't get burnt out as happened in my case.

129 for 15 dollars of parts seems a bit rich.

Duplicate, please discuss in the other copy [with the circuit diagram in it] [CLOSED]

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:44:36 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: diversion controller
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:22:40 AM »
There are certain websites where the wise don't go, you have found one of them.

At least you managed to get into it and find the true secrets which few would be able to do. You can mend it now you know what is in it but I suggest you have a look at Ghurd's controller kit, it's very cheap and works far better than a clanging relay thing.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:22:40 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

Re: diversion controller
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:32:47 AM »
Did you see the picture of the circuit diagram that I drew it is not showing up on the web page for me? At first I started digging out the tar with a screwdriver not relising what it was but then I decided to see if it would disolve with petrol worked like a dream.  All I need to replace is the 50 amp relay but I don't think I need to hide the technology in tar.  I do understand what you are saying about relays though they do wear out.  But by pulling the regulator apart I was able to find out that if your in a tough spot you can build a very simple regulator for around 10 dollars not 129 dollars. I managed to find a circuit diagram for Ghurd's controller on the site. Might pick your brains about that circuit if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:32:47 AM by (unknown) »