Author Topic: Panel rewiring  (Read 1987 times)

(unknown)

Panel rewiring
« on: July 10, 2004, 05:17:37 PM »
Hey all

I have a Carrizo panel with shattered glass from wind stress. It is still putting out over 5 volts.

I want to use it as a stand-alone panel for the electric fence and gate. I recently saw another on ebay the same. My calculations show it could beturned into approx 20w at 17v.

Before I dig in and start cutting, anybody done this or have any suggestions? I am getting mixed advice on re-soldering or using conductive epoxy. How are you getting the best results?

I could use a little advice on the wiring too, although I guess its a matter of cutting and measuring under the sun...

Thanks

MH

« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 05:17:37 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Panel rewiring
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 06:25:01 AM »

Tricky, the glass of coarse must be replaced . How many cell are effected ? Best to use solder and somthing like buss wire for repairs between cells . A broken cell will still give the same voltage but current is cut you must patch  carfully . The epoxy

is cool and makes a good connection but you can't glue them together . You treat the cells as componants to be soldered back into a circuit seperate the cells that are broken slightly and look for connection points parallel the anode and cathode of a broken cell . Kind of a jumble of info . you could send some closups of the panel and broken places you have Q's about    

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 06:25:01 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 05:36:06 PM »
Hi tecker, thanks for the response.

The panel is from the defunct Carizzo plant. It is meant to be used in series with 2 or 3 others for a 12v system.

This panel has broken glass but seems to be putting out quite a bit of power so I don't think it has any broken connections. I just measured 6.6v 1.8a open current.

I want to rewire the cells to charge a 12v battery with this single panel. I saw one done this way on ebay ($70!!) and with the broken glass, I thought it a good candidate to play with.

I won't bother with new glass, i tried that on a couple of others and it was not successful long term, anyway, they don't seem to be bothered by the rain.

What i'm hoping for, is some direction on redoing the rows of cells. It has three rows of cells, looks like they are wired parallel? All + go to the + terminal and all - go to the - terminal. I assume if I cut those leads and run the rows in series I would get 19.8 open current?

Thanks

MH

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 05:36:06 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 06:07:16 PM »
I won't bother with new glass, i tried that on a couple of others and it was not successful long term, anyway, they don't seem to be bothered by the rain.

It will get them eventually.  The voltage on the cells will cause galvanic corrosion of the power takeoff electrodes.

You won't see that in a couple days - but it will eat your cells, probably within months.

Galvanic croorosion = electroplating, and will eat up the sacrificial electrode - or one side of a piece of metal in the path - in extremely short order.  (It's always a surprise to boaters how fast their underwater metal fittings turn to sponge when they moor in an "electrically dirty" dock, such as one with some boats whose shorepower feeds' grounds are hooked to the boats' 12v system, throwing DC into the water.  If the victim boaters don't change their zinks on a short schedule, or if they have metal through-hulls that aren't zinc protected, they've got sponge brass within weeks weeks.)

You probably don't have to glue them to a plate of glass.  But you DO have to keep 'em dry.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 06:07:16 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 08:52:28 PM »

Let's say you get the right voltage you want and you have 20 to 24 solder joints

and the panel is up and running and a driving rain soaks the panel you can't really believe It's gona just dry out and pump out the max . Short life span at best . Plan on

an air tight sandwitch pull a vacumm on the space and add nitrogen to fill it a copper tube is inserted with a charge valve as used in ac condenser . Little extra work but It will last and remove heat . This is done with high voltage equipment but they use Hydrogen .

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 08:52:28 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 09:47:56 PM »
I have three of these panels with broken glass. Been broken for about 4 maybe 5 years. Still putting out the power.

I did go through a routine with 2 of sealing them with spar varnish and covering with glass and sealing with silicone. It all failed and the spar varnish broke down and left a mess.

So, am I on the right track with the wiring?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 09:47:56 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 03:37:08 AM »

How many cells are there ?  Are there Three rows of 12 ? each cell is a little over 1/2 a volt maybe .52  at 50 ma just a guess I'm also guessing all three rows are in parallel so look for an end of line on each row and series to the top of the next .

wire size isn't factor . just remember the temp factor maybe single solid 20 to 24 with

teflon insulation .  

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 03:37:08 AM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 03:49:38 AM »

I see I just reinterated in info you posted earlier sorry looks like your on top of the wiring . Remmember the heat factor of your wire .

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 03:49:38 AM by (unknown) »

Electric Ed

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 05:43:07 AM »
"I did go through a routine - - - -  of sealing them"

Same here. My low-tech solution was to regularly wax them with good auto wax.

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:43:07 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 01:57:01 PM »
Thanks, I was wondering about the wire. I wonder if with the heat you mention, I should keep some space between the wire and back of panel? or Ill just try it and see what happens.

btw, i've really come to like the liquid tape sold in the electrical section for covering terminals and wire connections. It has proved to be an outstanding and easy solution to keeping the elemnts away from the electrons. Too bad its not clear. I will use it liberally to cover the back of the panel connections, and I may make some concessions to the rain like you've suggested.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 01:57:01 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 09:07:18 PM »

I don't want to drag you down with this glazing repair I'm working on a large array

and I see them in a different way . Just an idea here. you could place the working panels under a large sheet of lexan or similar that can be cleaned etc and use some reflective sides to milk a little more juice .

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 09:07:18 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 04:57:35 AM »

Most 30 or 60 pair telephone cable has twisted 24 gauge with teflon insulation . This is pretty good to 140 F or better you can get polyurethane caulk this is use in roofing , windows also there is a fast drying urethane wire insulation product several differnt brands I think Kester is the most popular .

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 04:57:35 AM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 05:04:29 AM »

If scrounging 30 60 pair is out of reach .Most electrical supply sell a roll of 24 gauge wire for phone punchdown this is the same stuff and has teflon insulation I have made bifilar coils with this stuff and It held up to the heat .

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 05:04:29 AM by (unknown) »