Author Topic: Controls for motors used as generators  (Read 1013 times)

deb

Controls for motors used as generators
« on: August 23, 2004, 03:46:22 AM »
I am going to use used motors as generators for a small wind system. What I need is control systems to avoid too high and too low rpm's. I had a look on the internet, but everything I found was really expensive. Does somebody know a chep supplier or an easier way to disconnect my generator when its rpm is dangerous?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 03:46:22 AM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Controls for motors used as generators
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 06:07:04 AM »
  A blocking diode for low rpm....a good furling system for too high rpm, a search on this board has any number of tips for furling systems......and blocking diodes.

Have Fun

( :>) Norm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 06:07:04 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:11:43 AM »
deb;

Does somebody know a chep supplier or an easier way to disconnect my generator when its rpm is dangerous?

This is the LAST thing you want to do to a wind machine in high winds. If you were to do this the blade would freewheel and could quite possibly destroy your machine if the speed gets too high.

What you probably want is to have the machine turn itself out of the wind and or connect a dump load to it to consume the power and keep a load on the blades.

Just my opinion and may not be held by others.

T

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 08:11:43 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:52:53 AM »
agreeing with Tom here...

the wind turbine must always be hooked to a load, usually the batteries.  RPM should never become "dangerous" unless it has no furling system - or it becomes disconnected, if the alternator and the blades are reasonably well matched.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 08:52:53 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

domwild

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 12:39:54 AM »
Hugh Piggott in his scoraigwind web site has a circuit diagram for a load shedder. He takes down AC, converts it to low voltage AC, drives a LM2917 tacho chip which then converts the frequency (=RPM) to voltage. The voltage drives an opamp which switches via optocoupler - triacs the AC load from the phases to a dump load at high RPM. Hopefully furling will obviate such a complicated piece of electronics.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 12:39:54 AM by (unknown) »