Author Topic: need some ideas  (Read 2678 times)

deerslayer660

need some ideas
« on: September 05, 2004, 11:50:09 AM »
   i am using two car halogin headlight bulbs as a dump load  i'm doing this because

i really like the light in the shop when wind blows and batterys are charged but i am concerend if bulbs blow and im not there my mill will go up in smoke  any ideas

to back up the lights?  george
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 11:50:09 AM by (unknown) »

BrianK

Re: need some ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 01:33:06 PM »
I really dont have much of idea about the up in smoke thing but I think that is where some form of furling would help.  Are you in Ohio? If so where at? I might be interested in one of those
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 01:33:06 PM by (unknown) »

iFred

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 05:57:08 PM »

Put a bunch of lights in parelle, the chances are less that if one light blows, it would take the rest out as well. I could also suggest a circuit that checks the voltage, and behond a specific check point would would then have an additional load. a simple 12v comparitor circuit would do nicly.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 05:57:08 PM by (unknown) »

deerslayer660

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 05:58:54 PM »
  briank mansfield is closest big city george
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 05:58:54 PM by (unknown) »

iFred

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 06:12:57 PM »

Check out this web page.. has info on 741 op amps.. take a look at the peak detector and the basic comparator circuits. very simple to modify this to dump to a load under a specfic voltage. if you require a voltage range of say 30-40 volts but nothing below then look at the window comparitor. with a few of these window comparators set at different voltage ranges you can dump to multipule loads depending on voltage alone and never worrying about load failures. Good Luck!

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/741/741.html

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 06:12:57 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 07:16:58 PM »

gen it up

Here the op-amp is used as a inverted amplifier. See Figure 3.Zener and resistor network gives reference voltage to the inverting terminal (-ve) of op-amp. Sensing voltage derived through the 10 K pre-set is given to the non- inverting (+ve) terminal and this sets the high level cut.

When the input DC from the sensor is less than Zener voltage the output of the op-amp is low and vice-versa. When the input DC voltage is equal to the zener voltage, the op-amps output is approximately zero.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/042/

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 07:16:58 PM by (unknown) »

erne

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »
You must have a 12 volt system in order to use lights out of a car. so you need to put a hot water element in a 55 gal drum and use a switch between that and your lights.. lights when you are there hot water when your not.. makes it real simple. there is a formula for higher voltage heater elements, but there are 12 volt heaters at realgoods or someone like them.. erne
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 08:43:08 PM by (unknown) »

BrianK

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 11:22:02 AM »
deerslayer660 Thats cool the biggest city close to me in Ohio Is Lima, or Van Wert
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:22:02 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 11:46:42 AM »
i'm no wiz at this shock stuff, but i'd try a 12 volt or 36 breaker, you could get one from a junk yard out of most any car, but look for an newer semi, international, possably an camper or rv, the lighting your looking to run is very simalar to mobile wireing, i had wired my shed with car batteries and wire harnesses right from cars, yes it is ideal lighting, it loominates rooms more fully then any 110 glow wire. you can even use an old car headlight switch with the breaker. you don't need to leave the power on. oh yeah use the breaker or fuse panel from the vehicle so htis way you have a junction box and easy way to change fuses or breakers. good luck.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:46:42 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 04:34:12 PM »
Im not sure how big your windmill is...

and if your using lights as a dump... hopefully the wind turbine is sstill hooked to the battery and not directly to the lights.

If its hooked directly to the lights, high winds could probably blow the lights.

The wind turbine always needs to have a load on it - if its wired directly to the lights, and they blow, it will overspeed.  A furling system migth save it - but any overspeeding should be avoided I think.  You should always have it wired to the battiers really...  and if they get full, dump from the batteries.  You can dump manually - turning lights on or whatever... but for an automatic system I would use some kind of heater.

for a reliable dump load, i dont think lights are your best bet because they do blow out... and I think they can confuse most charge controllers a bit.  When a filament is cold, it draws a lot more current than it does when its hot.  

This is why most folks use water heaters.. or air heaters.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 04:34:12 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

deerslayer660

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 06:49:50 PM »
  iguess i schould clairifie i dump to the head lights 2 in parrialle when batterys are charged just think it will look cool when  wind blows and batterys are charged

how about this since a diode drops .6 volts take say 4 wired in searies to a 12vdc

relay now meater the dump load line going to head lights wire this line through

the relay one side to head lights norminaly closed side and norminaly open side to a heater element   so if dump load voltage goes to 14.2 relay trips and heating element

are on  will this work  i do not want  any more circuits than i half to i like to kiss things as much as posiable  george  ps pics in previous post

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 06:49:50 PM by (unknown) »

Victor

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 10:40:10 PM »
Hi Deerslayer,

Your Idea with the relay is OK but I think you will find that a 12 volt relay will pull in at less than 12 volts. I'm assuming the diodes were to adjust the voltage down from 14.4 volts.

You can just use  two resistors in series with the coil and use an extra pole on the relay to short one of the resistors on closing to give some hysterisis. The resistor values and wattages have to be worked out for the relay charactoristics.

Victor

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:40:10 PM by (unknown) »