Author Topic: Power Conditioner Question  (Read 1251 times)

domwild

Power Conditioner Question
« on: October 10, 2004, 04:15:30 AM »
Can get one cheap. In 240VAC, out 240VAC with a slight drop in Amps. Do these power conditioners just smooth out any spikes lasting milliseconds? What would happen if input voltage is 200VAC for longer periods such as seconds, would it still output 240VAC?

It is such an old model that my search on the net found nothing, not even on the manufacturer's site.

Thanks,

Dominic

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 04:15:30 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Power Conditioner Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 09:50:01 AM »
Domnic,

The operative words here are power conditioner, it will remove spikes which is what it was designed for but unless its a UPS as well it can not sustain the voltage.

Guess you had better send it down to me i'm sure I can find a use for it :).

regards Allan  

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:50:01 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

wpowokal

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 09:58:59 AM »
http://lit.powerware.com/ll_download_bylitcode.asp?doc_id=2722

Domnic it seems they are a little more intelegent, did you find this link.

Allan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:58:59 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 10:06:51 AM »
This might be the makers site complete with contact details.

http://www.solaaust.com.au/products/200210.htm
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 10:06:51 AM by (unknown) »

laskey

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 12:40:15 PM »
It uses a saturation transformer.  It means that the magnetic field of the transformer reaches the saturation point, and thus it is not possible to pass a voltage higher than the rated amount.

It doesn't just protect you from short spikes, it protects you from ANY voltages higher than it's rating for ANY length of time.  They're pretty cool line conditioners.  Put in 400 VAC you get out 240 VAC Draw it's rated current for about 1 hour and it'll probably burst into flames, but you'll never get more than 240 VAC out.  

They are typcialy designed to reach saturation at a input voltage slightly lower than the rated output, so maybe 200 would come out at 240, but that would be around the bottom limit if it did.

Cya,

Chris

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:40:15 PM by (unknown) »

Victor

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 01:45:41 PM »
I have a Sola power conditioner. I believe it is a paraformer and not just a ferro resonant transformer as Lasky has stated. Another interesting feature is that it will take a mod sine wave input ,or any waveform actually, and output a sine wave. I have used mine for this porpose. If you try to over load it the output collapses, so it's surge capacity is zilch. It is an interesting but only semi useful device. A really good line filter though IMO.

Victor

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 01:45:41 PM by (unknown) »

domwild

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 01:16:05 AM »
Friends,

Thanks for your replies. I certainly found the Sola site on the web but that particular model seems to be such an old model that no specifications were available. Allan: The modern models seem to be very intelligent but his model has just some heavy iron + cap.

Good to hear that it can take an overvoltage, the Fisher & Paykel smartdrive motor/alternator can make up to 300VAC, so this is ideal. I am not familiar with AC transformers and the term saturation but I get the idea that the iron just does not allow any further magnetisation.

Dominic

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 01:16:05 AM by (unknown) »