Author Topic: APC Factory Refurb Site  (Read 1143 times)

throwinstones

APC Factory Refurb Site
« on: October 14, 2004, 03:03:06 PM »
APC Factory Refub Site.

Looks like most things are better than 1/2 off.

Certainly relevant to the board.

Please reply if you found it useful.

http://buy.apc.com/commerce/storefronts/factoryoutlet/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 03:03:06 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: APC Factory Refurb Site
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 06:21:01 PM »
Looks like there might be a few deals there maybe, but as always watchout for too high list prices also!! I found my UPS listed!!

$299 list price, I save $180 buying a refurb for only $120, huh sorry but I paid $118 plus tax brand new for mine!! Depending on shipping costs then the refurb is the same price as new.

It did look like about $10 maybe $15 savings on the cheapo Wallyworld types I have for the TV stuff though. I think new the 200watt (350va) was about $35, it's $25 as refurb.

Also I did not look to see what they mean by Refurb, does that mean NEW batteries???

It's worth taking a look, but I think Sam's Club or Ebay would be the better deal.

My $118 unit came from Sam's Club and they still have em that price when I was there about a month ago, though mine is about a Year old now.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 06:21:01 PM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:10:17 PM »
I could not find out what they mean by 'refurb'. It can't mean new batteries because their replacement battery cost are pretty close to the price of their refurb units, if not higher. I have five APC units now. Two 1200VA and three 3000VA. Grand total was a bit over $100 because, it seems, once the batteries go bad the UPS's are about worthless. It shocked me when I saw the pricing on replacement battery packs for the big batteries. Unless I'm missing something this would seem to be a buying opertuinity for some of the folks here.

John........
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 10:10:17 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 08:11:19 AM »
Yep your missing just a little I think.

The replacement battery prices are probably about close to the cost of a new UPS in the first place, which is why most people will just toss the UPS when the batteries are shot and buy a new one. Why pay $95 for batteries for a used 3yr old UPS when the same UPS new costs $118 and has NEW batteries in it! Buy the new one for $118 and sell the old one for $25 and let some other person worry about the $95 batteries :)

Price of their batteries really has nothing to do with it, since the price of the REFURB UPS's are nearly the same as the NEW UPS's anyway and the new ones do have new batteries. The one large UPS I have that I bought new was the same price as thier Refurb (within a couple dollars, See my first post) for the same model.

And I am sure they have a large profit markup on the batteries so it does not actually cost them anywhere near the replacement costs if they install them in a Refurb.

Letting the refurbs sit without batteries would not generate any profits for them, but if they were to basically give the UPS system away free as a means of selling more new batteries then that would make them a profit from the sale of the batteries.

It's all really a matter of how you look at it. As for rather or not they are actually installing new battieries I don't have any idea. Just pointing out they could and still profit nicely.

And if they are simply fixing defective returns and selling them with used batteries for the nearly new price, then that is not much of a deal at all.

As I mentioned though in my first post, it may vary by model if it's a good deal or not. I think I saw about a $10 savings on the cheap ones sold at wal-mart, but then the same price as new for the one I have which is no savings.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 08:11:19 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »
Shop around for batteries.

I know I can get small UPS batteries that sometimes retail for $37, for less than 1/3 of that. I just don't get a skid of them at a time. Some bigger or much smaller outfits may have better pricing. My little local ISP/web hosting/etc sells new batteries cheaper than other places I've seen.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 04:21:56 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller