Author Topic: coil resistance  (Read 1355 times)

electrondad1

coil resistance
« on: October 23, 2004, 01:41:32 PM »
 instead of using heavywire (14awg+) or multi strand ( 22+22 ) to form a big fat coil , i was wondering if i could could spin multiple coils in concentric circles then wire them in parallel to form a large coil with low resistance.any thoughts from any one?  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 01:41:32 PM by (unknown) »

zubbly

Re: coil resistance
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 03:39:48 PM »
hey!   :)

that method which you describe would work perfectly fine.

have fun!

zubbly

« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 03:39:48 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 03:59:29 PM »

Sounds doable . The thing that is a constant is the you have tight clearances and also mass/surface area at right angle to the flux flow will dictate the configuration of your coils . Not much help for you but that leads to my opinion I think  haveing multiple coils of smaller gage wire to scoop up the same amperage as larger gage will leave you crowding the stator .  When you have the circuits in place the added current carrying capability of larger gage wire  will help the stator take more abuse than the multiple smaller gage coils .

« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 03:59:29 PM by (unknown) »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 04:26:34 PM »
If you wind concetric coils they will have slightly different voltages and waveforms.  You will get current circulating between these coils and this will sap some power.  I may not matter too much in strong winds but it will sap power in low wind and reduce startup efficiency.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 04:26:34 PM by (unknown) »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 07:45:58 PM »
when i built this big stator--i thought i might try putting some fine wire coils in the holes of the big coils..

it worked but it robbed power from the big coils--so i ended  up with about the same amount of power output..so what your saying is you want to stack your coils..

may work, but it might have a canselation effect, then again it may not,sence

all coils will fire at once.....let us know what happens..

« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 07:45:58 PM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

electrondad1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 08:28:04 AM »
wow, there are big fish in this pond. thank you all.the inter-coil leakage at slow speed is troublesome as i have opted for a verticle axis design.  i think i'll stack the coils like pancakes. uniform no. of turns / uniform resistance. maximum grunt. and i can make use of all this fine wire.the wind was up last night, across(georgian bay) 300 miles of open water. like a freight train in the trees. i've got to get busy, thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 08:28:04 AM by (unknown) »