Author Topic: honda generator  (Read 1201 times)

Jim S

honda generator
« on: November 02, 2004, 06:58:51 PM »
I have a Honda 2200 watt generator with a 5 1/2 hp engine that I would like to make electric start. Is there any way to add electric start without changing the engine to an electric start model and switching the crankshaft from the current engine to fit the generator. At this time buying a different generator is not an option.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:58:51 PM by (unknown) »

bkrahmer

Re: honda generator
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 11:10:48 PM »
I think the easiest way to get a definitive answer would be to call your local Honda dealer.  Have your model & serial numbers handy.  B&S starters, for example, are typically mated to the flywheel, not the crankshaft.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 11:10:48 PM by (unknown) »

Jim S

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:43:02 AM »
I spoke with Honda and they tell me that I would have to purchase a new 5 1/2 hp electric start engine and switch the crankshaft with my existing engine as the engine on the generator has a tapered shaft and they don't offer that in electric start.  The flywheel on my engine is not geared for an electric starter.  

Would it be possible to use the 110v generator as a starter by feeding current back through it form my inverter?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 08:43:02 AM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 11:08:03 AM »
Doesn't your motor have some sort of fan, behind a shroud, on the other end of the crankshaft? If so then it may be possible to mount some type of ring gear to that. Likely it would take some fairly expensive machining and you would still have to figure out how to mount your starter. I live in KC. There is a company here called Small Engine Distributors. Their website is: www.smallenginedistributors.com

You might find that they have an engine at a good price for you. This might also be a good time to simply cut your losses and buy another gen with the money you get from selling your current machine. I know you are dead set against this but it's probably the simplest and most direct route to where you want to be.

John......
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:08:03 AM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 02:25:39 PM »
 Use the recoil starter and rope....wrap one turn around a spool on the shaft of a 12 volt starter motor....pull on handle...as you pull it tightens

the rope....power assisted recoil starting!

The second method would be to just have the motor wind up the recoil rope.on the spool..when it reaches its limit a microswitch shuts off the starter relay, and the recoil spring draws the rope back and unwinds it from the starter spool.

Would be lots easier than modifying for regular electric start...even tho it may sound kinda kookie...it'll work!

Careful ...there is a lot of force involved here even in a small motor!

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:25:39 PM by (unknown) »

bkrahmer

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »
That reminds me of my days as a kid messing around with go-karts.  My dad is a mechanic, and has his own shop, so we had lots of fun souping up B&S 5hp motors.  After the compression got high enough, we weren't able to easily start them with the recoil starters anymore.  The solution?  Take a automobile starter motor, put a couple of handles on it, and weld on a bit of square shaft.  We drilled out the rivets and took the recoil starter off, and you're left with the part that mates with the new starter.  Add a switch, hook it up to a battery with jumper cables, and off you go.  May work for you as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:04:30 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 10:42:19 PM »
Yes you can use the motor to start the gas engine, I have done it with an European unit that at this moment I do not remember the name.

You need to be careful and know what to do and as well the type of generator you have.

Induction generators if you know how to do it DO work well but if you do not know you may de-magnetize the armature.

Since is a very special arrangement that may damage parts, I will not assist in this project.

Regards and Sorry

Nando

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:42:19 PM by (unknown) »