Author Topic: Ego-Kart  (Read 2740 times)

hbelanger

Ego-Kart
« on: November 17, 2004, 07:49:15 AM »
Hi Gents,

I'm building an Electric Go-kart and I'd like some advice for the pros. I pickup a 2.5HP 130v 17.5amp Treadmill motor from the scrap ward. The motor works great and is in perfect condition (Brush look new) I bet that treadmill got a lot of uses ;-). Anyhow I'd like to know is this motor is powerful enough to run an off road cart at a decent speed ?

Thanks

Hugues

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 07:49:15 AM by (unknown) »

Paulm

Re: Ego-Kart
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:02:31 AM »
you're going to need literally a ton of batteries. For full speed at 130 vdc at probably 100ah. What do you plan to use, 12 volt batteries in series ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 08:02:31 AM by (unknown) »

skravlinge

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 11:13:27 AM »
The motor has power to run in  good speed. The problem is if it can run off road  due to batteries, you probably have to load on a  wagon behind the cocart. You might better run it  on a  runway with is electified as an  subway train.  There are motors which can run  a gocart with  a few batteries some kilometers. The cheapest would be an used car start motor, they are able to move a 1800 kg car. With a variable  gear, not heavy to make, it  will run at speed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 11:13:27 AM by (unknown) »

hbelanger

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 12:10:53 PM »
I'm not quite sure what to do about the power I was thinking of running a few ~6 12volt deep cycle in series, I'm afraid it's going to be somewhat slow runnig on 72V.

Is there a better solution ?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:10:53 PM by (unknown) »

zmoz

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 01:29:37 PM »
Find a different motor. You need ten batteries to make that work. Look for a 24-48v golf cart motor.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:29:37 PM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 10:33:54 PM »
another alternative is a truck starter such as the delco mt40 series

if i am not mistaken they make 7 hp peak and run off of 12 volts,

granted they are intermittent duty, but with a control relay and the proper gearing

the off/on pulse should make a go cart go like hell

i think i could get a go cart to 50 mile per hour in under 5 seconds with one of those, at which time i would cut off the pulse and just juice it as needed, might be surprised just how far one could go on a couple of group 31 950cca batteries.

and besides it would be a blast :)

how far and how fast do you want to go, how heavy is the target weight?

bob g

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 10:33:54 PM by (unknown) »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 10:38:28 PM »
oh and another thought

recombinant braking,

just add a 140amp alterator to the rear axle with a brake micro switch to energize(full

field) the rotor and you have braking and some return back to the battery.

granted you can't get it all back, but you have to have braking anyway, might as well try and get back maybe 50% of the power expended

too cool, at the current price i pay at the pump, might have to build a gocart to get me around  :)

bob g

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 10:38:28 PM by (unknown) »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Tommy L

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 11:20:05 PM »
Hi !

Take a look at this http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/ I´am sure you get many idea´s

Tommy L / Sweden

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 11:20:05 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »
   When working in the automotive experimental field we did some power testing of a Delco/GM starter.  A basic starter for a 250cuin inline 6 cylinder.   At full load it produced over 20hp at an rpm of just over 4000 rpm.  We modified the spline shaft to fit a bearing and housing over it and replaced the rear cap and busing with a roller bearing.   It of course wouldn't last long at that power and it did get quite hot during the testing.   Lots of fun!

One other thought, If you have an inverter that will handle the the motors power, you wouldn't need a large pile of batteries to drive a high voltage motor.  It obviously wouldn't be quite as efficient as a direct connect.

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 11:59:01 AM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 12:57:15 PM »
Some of the old generators from the old cars have been used for kids motor toys. When you put juice to them they are a motor, without juice they are a generator.

I have a Riding mower that was built with a belt drive generator of this type. It's the starter and when the engine is running it is the generator. Factory made that way. Unfortunatly that engine is junk or it would be a gennie for me.

I don't know the power or torque on those generators, but they move several kids around as a yard toy, and at 12V you could use one at each wheel for 4 wheel drive :)

If 2hp, 4 would give you 8hp. And regenerative braking is kinda built in too.

It was interesting to see the numbers posted for starters. Many electric cars and kits seem to be using 20hp motors, these are for road use too. Instead of one large motor I would rather have 2 or 4 smaller ones myself. SHould be easy to make end caps for starters to alough airflow and add a fan like an altenater has. Would help cool it some, but would it be enough? As for starters, yes they do have alot of power, I have had vehicle problems several times with a manual tranny and walked the vehicle off the road running on the starter. It was slow, but worked as long as the battery was strong enough, and that's cranking an engine and alot of power loss with the tranny and other stuff too.

Using 2 or more starters would reduce the load that each has to carry on it's own as well as upping the HP available. And it would all be 12v too! You could try upping it to 24V, that might work or it might not. I have ran 6V starters from the old cars at 12V just fine myself. They actually worked better, not sure about the 12V since i have not done that yet.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 12:57:15 PM by (unknown) »

Snoprob

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 07:02:11 AM »
RV.Net had a guy who set up a golf-cart to run off two Honda Eu2000 generators - I thought that was kind of wild, a 4 hour range off of two gallons of gasoline. I followed his signature link to his cart page but it didn't have tech details, only pictures of a golf cart doing 'dukes of hazard' jumps. Well not quite that extreme but he was quite pleased with his project...

Only downside is if someone drives off in your generator shed while you're sleeping.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 07:02:11 AM by (unknown) »