Author Topic: Voltage Regulator  (Read 1019 times)

(unknown)

Voltage Regulator
« on: January 10, 2005, 01:35:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

this is my first time on the board.  I have a 2kw wind turbine that i built myself and a 2.5kw inverter.  The problem is that at the minute when the batteries are fully charged the voltage can rise to 30v on gusty nights before the charge controller diverts the power.  My system is 24v.  The thing is that the inverter doesn't seem to like this rise in voltage.  Does anyone know how to make a voltage regulator that i could put between the battery bank and the inverter that would not let the voltage rise above say 27 - 28 volts.

Thanks

Damien

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:35:29 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Voltage Regulator
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:17:14 AM »
   I don't have any big time stuff like that, I just have 1 deep cycle 12 volt battery and one old 12 volt system 1 battery charger, a 12 volt inverter.

I was charging one battery while I had a fluorescent 12 volt light (cheap), and evidently it couldn't take a change in charging voltlage...killed the light $1.95 shot!...so I've been under the assumtion that most everybody had 2 seperate systems 1 charging while the other was in use...I would if I were you....of course this is just my opinion and really electronic and experienced users might scoff at my notion.

Or perhaps you might need a different inverter?

Just trying to help.....awaiting answers to your question for my own reference in the future.

Have Fun!

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:17:14 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Voltage Regulator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:39:58 AM »
It would be fun to hear more details about the wind turbine!  

What sort of inverter do you use?  I use the aux. relays in my Trace SW inverter to turn a heater on/off and it does a nice job... it's a bit rough, but it does keep battery voltage under control.

In your case I'd think a Trace C60 with an appropriate heater should do a good job so long as it's not producing over 60 amps too often.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 08:39:58 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 05:39:32 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.