Author Topic: Charge-MAX 1500 digital charge controller?  (Read 3433 times)

Tom in NH

Charge-MAX 1500 digital charge controller?
« on: January 25, 2005, 03:25:54 AM »
This charge controller by Boston Mountain Mfg. caught my attention.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5950942497

It looks pretty nice and reasonably priced, but I've never heard of this company or their "European digital charge technology."

Does anyone know about this outfit or the product?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 03:25:54 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Charge-MAX 1500 digital charge controller?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 05:36:28 AM »
Well, I never heard of it. And that seems strange to me. I don't see a new brand very often.

Especially an American made one, with 25 years of research, and a 90 day warrenty.

Something seems a little 'off' somehow.

just 2 cents.

G-
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 05:36:28 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

troy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 07:32:21 PM »
I've had that exact model for approx 1.5 years.  I don't have any complaints about it.  It seems to work as advertised.  I have a lot more battery than I have solar panel, so it doesn't have a lot of charge controlling to do.  I would make the observation that it's not UL listed.

Quality control seems adequate, though not spectacular.  One corner of the enclosure had a nice ding in it, and there was a small loose nut rolling around inside upon receipt.  I rescued the nut by judicious shaking and haven't had any further issues.  It came with a remote bat temp probe, which most charge extra for.  It was a very attractive price compared to the big names with similar capacity.

I can't really comment on the super duper Euro charge protocol as I primarily charge my battery bank with the Lister co-generator.  

Hope that helps,

troy

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 07:32:21 PM by (unknown) »

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 09:07:48 PM »
I seem to need to play with everything, so I got one of these, actually the larger one, just to see how it worked. I'm used to chargers that monitor what they do in real time and react accordingly. These don't do that.

I've never heard anyone else refer to the "European" charging algorithm, but what it amounts to is you set a top voltage and a time factor. It will charge full bore for a set amount of time (you set it with a knob with no scale, based on the capacity of your battery bank). At the end of that time it will stop charging for some amount of time and divert the charge to your diversion load (if you have one). It will then check the voltage. If it's below your set voltage (again set by a knob with no scale) It will charge full bore for that set amount of time.  If it is above that voltage, it will continue to divert and check it again later.

I tried it for a few days and replaced it with a Trace C-40. I didn't like the fact that it was very difficult to determine what it was set at given the nature of it's operation.

I also didn't like that it was going to charge full bore for a set period no matter what the battery voltage was. My batteries are sealed lead acid and this resulted in several minutes of full charge after the batteries had exceeded bulk rate pushing voltages much higher than I was comfortable with.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:07:48 PM by (unknown) »

Tom in NH

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 10:02:48 PM »
Chuck, did you run it in conjunction with an inverter? I'm curious if you had a problem with the inverter shutting down because the battery voltage got up too high.

Does the unit monitor the amount of current sent into the batteries and shut off after a certain amount of amp hours fed into the battery, or is it a fixed amount of time it charges?

Thanks for the input.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:02:48 PM by (unknown) »

suns10

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 05:56:02 PM »
I asked the manufacturer a question (how much power it consumes and what EDCT is) about their controller and here is the response I got back.  Thier web site is currently down (being moved to another ISP they say) but does resolve by name and IP's to the old host.  I may pick one up to test it as it interests me too.

The email reply I recieved is below:

"suns10,

Thank you for your questions regarding the Charge-Max digital charge controller.  The quiescent current (standby, waiting for AE/RE generator input from solar panels, wind/hydro turbine) is approximately 25 to 30 milliamps (.03 amps), or in a 12 volt system, about 1/3 watt.  This represents the amount of power to turn the Green "Battery Active" LED indicator on and operate the internal CMOS timekeeping and watchdog circuits.  The amount of power consumed by the unit is the same if the AE/RE input generator (solar panels, wind or hydro turbine, etc.) is active, other than to "light" the "Input Active" LED and the Charging/Diverting LEDs (about 20 additional milliamps).  We use state-of-the-art semiconductor power devices for 97% throughput efficiency and special Schottky Barrier Diodes in the output sections for extremely high efficiencies in all of our digital products.

Regarding the EDCT charging methodology, we have a white-paper on the Web site, but it is down while they move to a different ISP. (www.boston-mountain.com) It should be back up in a week or two for you to look at.  However, I can give you the "short version" as follows:  The technology we use was originally developed by the Germans (really in the Netherlands), for rapidly charging industrial battery sets from wind generators.  Most of the AE/RE PWM-type chargers you see on the market today are derived from old-time "grid-based" chargers (variable profile Constant Voltage, Constant Current).  Although using microprocessors to controll the process, most try to "second-guess" the battery's condition over time.  The assumption is that the input voltage will be fairly constant and that the charging current can be controlled as you would with a grid-based "battery charger".  This approach doesn't optimize the energy created by your solar panels or wind/hydro generators, in that, the conditions are usually quite dynamic and you have to be able to fully utilize the energy available in real-time as efficiently as practicable.

The EDCT, on the other hand, uses a DSP approach that optimizes the rate-of-charge based on the amount of available voltage and current, in real-time.  This is a process that uses fuzzy-logic in conjunction with the Charge-Booster that you see listed on the schematic that I sent you.  So, rather than second guessing the battery's charge profile, the DSP module actually integrates the various input conditions, along with temperature measurements at the battery and in the unit's enclosure, and puts the battery(s) through a Charge Cycle, followed by a Rest & Test phase.  The rate of discharge (settling time) is measured and recorded, and the charge is again applied until the DSP is satisfied that the battery(s) is fully charged (depends upon the Set Point adjustment).  Then, after the batteries have been "topped off", the Charge-Max will automatically apply a periodic "pulsed trickle" to reduce sulphation. (Equalization Charges are done manually by rotating the Set Point control fully clockwise every 30 days, or as otherwise specified by the battery manufacturer.)

I hope that will help you better understand the process.  I like the units in that they will operate with batteries as small as 200 AH, but can also drive banks up to 5000 AH.  (Also, multiple units can be connected in parallel and share data with each other using the Sync Cable.)  To take full advantange of the charging system, however, you would really need the Charge-Booster unit as well.  It will optimize the charging process when your solar panels or wind/hydro generators are operating in less than ideal conditions.  We offer the Charge-Boosters and Charge-Max controllers in 1500, 3000 & 6000 watt models for 12, 24, 32, 36, 48 & 120 VDC systems.

We are a contract manufacturer for the AE/RE/RV & Marine industry and put our weekly production overruns on eBay so you can get the extra units at well below Dealer Cost.  We should have some more items to list tomorrow evening, but please let me know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

Kindest regards,

John

BMM Tech Dept."

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 05:56:02 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
The website do not work.

And no information about this product.

Who make this products.

Made in USA. Or China.

I do not know.

Somebody can help me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 11:53:33 AM by (unknown) »

Colorado

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
I purchased one of their Charge-Max 1500 Boosters and a 1500 Controller on ebay. The Booster was defective right out of the box. When I emailed them about it back in August they promised me a new 3000 as a replacement. I have not received it as of this date (11-09-2007) and they are ignoring my emails.

The charge controller limits the charge available from my panels whatever I do and I have currently bypassed it until I get another controller.

Let those who have ears listen...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:33:55 AM by (unknown) »