Author Topic: 38v Generator Welder  (Read 1075 times)

(unknown)

38v Generator Welder
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:36:38 PM »
Greeting all,

First post here so let me introduce myself. I am converting a 1973 GMC transit bus to live in full-time in the near future. I have many of the same needs as many of you, living off-grid, only I won't be quite as stationary. So, here come the questions....

The bus is powered with a Detroit 6V71 diesel. The air conditioning system is shot and being removed. I save everything I remove from the bus and recycle as much as possible. That's what brings me to the generator in question.

It's a Leece-Neville 38 volt generator. The external regulator is a vibrating point type used to limit voltage to the condenser fan drive motor, a Prestolite MJB-4004. I have specs and schematics on everthing if needed.

I was thinking of maybe building a welder or battery charger powered by a small diesel engine...possible VW rabbit. The genny checks out good but after some reseach I found the monster only puts out 48 amps. This generator only runs the condensor fan so just goes to show, size isn't everything. The generator on the engine (Delco-Remy 50DN) puts out 12v 285a @ 2500 rpm. Bet I could weld with that.

So what do ya think, Should I forget about this 38v generator? Prolly just what you wanted...another post about welder alternators. Not to worry...I'll be heading to the solar power, house batts, wind power questions soon enuff.

Bones

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 06:36:38 PM by (unknown) »

zmoz

Re: 38v Generator Welder
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 02:43:15 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time with it. You could barely weld foil with 48 amps. You can get a 100+ amp Delco alternator for $10 used or $100 brand new...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 02:43:15 PM by (unknown) »