Author Topic: Rediscovered BTHumbles meter dial program  (Read 1015 times)

richhagen

Rediscovered BTHumbles meter dial program
« on: March 31, 2005, 04:58:16 AM »
A while back Volvo Farmer and I shared a batch of amp meters from E-Bay.  He introduced me to a neat trick he learned from somewhere or other.  The meters were the type that you pass the wire through a cage to measure the DC amps in the wire.  The trick was that you could loop the wire a couple or more times to change the scale of the meter to a lower value.  The meters were 80 Amps, so for example if you looped a smaller cable through the slot 4 times, it yielded a 20 amp meter.  The only thing was that the scale in the back was still for an 80 amp meter.  

Anyway, I was looking through the old files and noiced a posting from BT from a year or so ago.  It was a visual basic program for generating the meter display backing.  Within about 10 minutes I had it figured out and was looking at a nice 20 Amp scale background for the meter.  It was a beautiful thing.  Rich Hagen

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:58:16 AM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

richhagen

Rediscovered BTHumbles meter dial program
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 09:59:32 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to put a link to that story:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/2/3/191649/8833

Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 09:59:32 PM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

BT Humble

Re: Rediscovered BTHumbles meter dial program
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »

Anyway, I was looking through the old files and noiced a posting from BT from a year or so ago.  It was a visual basic program for generating the meter display backing.  Within about 10 minutes I had it figured out and was looking at a nice 20 Amp scale background for the meter.  It was a beautiful thing.  Rich

Hooray!  I'm always pleased when my work is of use to someone else as well. ;-)

BTH

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 02:49:04 PM by (unknown) »