Author Topic: control panel  (Read 1024 times)

97fishmt

control panel
« on: April 09, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »

It is really cool. It has a built in shunt and load bank and alternator control. Man, what the military throws away. In this picture my big wind alternator is hooked up and is reading 17.5 volts and 48 amps. I have it set on the 50 volt scale and 100 amp scale. I paid $20 for it and he was glad to see it go. Way cool find.

Here's another one I use some time for quick testing.  I works well because it can handle up to 50 volts and 60 amps. Although I don't leave it in the circuit, I've had those little cables warm to the touch when pushing heavy current through the meter.

But I picked this one up for $2. In this picture it's hooked up to a pm motor that I put a 5:1 gear box on. It worked but, with the gears it would not start until the wind was pretty strong. That motor I should rewind, its name plate reads 12v 50a @650rpm. I thought I had a real score until I found out I could not get it to turn that fast. Those were the early days 1989 or so. Any way this picture shows a little over 15v and 30 amps I was getting out of it.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 05:00:59 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: control panel
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 12:36:15 PM »
Boy !! Did you ever luck out on those to meter sets.

The military/Govt meter is a real find. In 1955, an almost identical meter/load set was used in our Motor Pool in Germany. The mechanics used it on everything from the Generals Staff car to helicopters and M60 tanks. Great test for GPUs as the output on one was anywhere from a few amps to 100's of amps.

Great steal at $20 considering they cost in the 100's when mil bought them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:36:15 PM by (unknown) »