Author Topic: Magnetek Aurora Grid Tie Inverter Good/Bad?  (Read 3113 times)

tcrenshaw

Magnetek Aurora Grid Tie Inverter Good/Bad?
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:49:42 AM »
I have 20 36 cell solar panels and am ready to look at purchasing a grid tie inverter to continue my experimentation with solar. Each panel puts out about 19 volts and 2 amps in direct sunlight. Measurement is taken with a standard DVOM capable of 10 amp measurements. No load on the panel when measured. I was looking at the Trace Xantrex and Sunny Boy grid tie inverters and someone pointed me to Magnetck and the Aurora line of inverters. I've looked at them and they compare very well against the Xantrex and Sunny Boy equipment. Has anyone heard of or had experience good and bad with the Magnetek brand? Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 01:49:42 AM by (unknown) »

old55olds

Re: Magnetek Aurora Grid Tie Inverter Good/Bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 08:18:36 AM »
Just for argument sake

20 panels with 2 Amp @ short circuit. So we will get probably 1.5 amps at 12 volts.

So 18 Watt panels times 20 is 360 Watts

5 hour days of ideal sunlight is 360 X 5 equals 1.8 KWH per day

Power produced in 365 days (if you are very lucky and have no clouds) 657 KWH

So the power company pays say .06 cents per KWH would produce $39.42 per year.

I can buy power at .06 cents per KWH now so it will depend on what your power company sells it for but generally 1/2 of that.

Forget the grid tie invertor and pick up one from Wally mart and a couple of batteries.

I have 18 123 watt panels, A Bergy XL 1.2, and a listeroid  12 hp running on free fuel and can't justify trying to sell it back to the grid.  At least check very carefully with your utility before running out to spend money.

Just my opinion for what it is worth. My wife says nothing.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:18:36 AM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 09:09:41 AM »
I think that the idea of grid tied would be very expensive to you without any return for many, many years -- it does not have a good value for you --

KEN is right, one needs to do some simple mathematics to determine the practicability of a project and the benefits of it that in this case are negative or in the red for you.

Nando

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:09:41 AM by (unknown) »

Shadow

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 09:30:13 AM »
Ken, (old55olds) I'm interested in your Listeroid setup. what kind of generator configuration is hooked to it? Where can one be found? I think youre in Alta if I remember, I'm in Sask. Thanks..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:30:13 AM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:45:10 PM »
for the listeroid/generators

see george at  utterpower(dot)com

he has alot of info, and is located in kent washington

bob g

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 04:45:10 PM by (unknown) »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

tcrenshaw

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 05:02:46 PM »
Thanks for your opinion on the feasibility of this but let me re-state this - This is an experiment. If I was looking at making a quick return I surely wouldn't use this method. The power here in Dallas is .098 to .13 per KWH, but again, I'm not looking at this for anything other than to see what real world results are. I have the money to buy the equipment; it's a hobby I enjoy. I'm looking for opinion of how well the Magnetek inverters run against the Xantrex and Sunny Boy equipment.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 05:02:46 PM by (unknown) »

old55olds

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 06:51:41 AM »
You can email me

recore-at-sprint-dot-ca

I have a Vidhata 12/2 hooked to a 10 KW generator. So far no problems. Located at Onoway. 50 miles out of Edmonton. It is running on used refrigeration oil. And yes there is a learning curve. Hey my 55 olds came origionally from Sask.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 06:51:41 AM by (unknown) »

finnsawyer

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 07:49:33 AM »
But even so, as old55olds points out you need to know what you are dealing with, and you don't.  You need to determine the maximum power output for a panel.  You do that by hanging different loads (resistors) across a panel for constant illumination {noon day sun).  You then measure the voltage and calculate the power into the load.  You plot that power versus voltage to find its maximum.  That then determines you (best) working voltage.  You can then figure how to combine the panels to drive the inverter and what kind of payback you can expect.  This information might also help you in determining which inverter to buy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 07:49:33 AM by (unknown) »

old55olds

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 08:45:45 AM »
I have no experience with the magnetek and no one that I know has either. I do know that the trace invertors have been reliable. I looked at their website and it is interesting to be sure. Personally I would go for the 4000 which gives you the option of using two seperate strings of solar panels. One thing to remember is that if the power goes down they will not work. That is to protect the line workers. However I imagine that that is not a problem as your standby generator would kick in. But you must still isolate it from the line in case of a power outage. Your electrical company would have to authorize hookup also.

Hope that helps.

For my money(but then I don't have much) I would go the trace or sunnyboy. They have the track record.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 08:45:45 AM by (unknown) »

tcrenshaw

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 08:48:57 PM »
Thanks Ken. I think I'm leaning towards what your saying here about track records. Since this is just playing around more than anything, I would like to be able to eBay the inverter I use once I play with it for a half year or year. Having a "brand" name may be the way to go with this.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 08:48:57 PM by (unknown) »

nickelbender

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 10:58:31 AM »
Magnetek has a history of purchasing electronics made by other people and rebranding it...

In they have sold drives manufactured by KB Penta electronics and Yaskawa

This isn't a bad thing, in fact if this IS a Yaskawa it's probably bullet proof.

Also Yasakawa now has a sales office in the southern US some where you will probably see in there product line if they are the manufacturer
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:58:31 AM by (unknown) »

nickelbender

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 11:00:40 AM »
Nice typing eh? I should read this before hit send lest you all think me drunk lol!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:00:40 AM by (unknown) »