Author Topic: hydro system wiring  (Read 925 times)

dscheckman

hydro system wiring
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
I had an earlier posting on system grounding  and this is partly in response to some of the suggestions in that posting. System description. 25 ft head. Variable water flow from 75 to 175 ga. per minute. Turgo runner. [homemade with spoons from h-hydro] F&P  smartdrive rectified at the turbine. Total output 100- 350 watts depending on the volume of water. There are two wires coming from the generator.  4/0 cable [salvaged] 300 ft. running on the ground to the house. 48 volt battery bank. Matrix 5000 UPS as inverter. I have a question about how to connect the charging circuit, batteries  and UPS. I now have incoming current , charge controller, UPS and battery positive connected to a terminal block. The cable to the positive terminal of the battery is protected by a properly sized fuse and dc disconnect. All circuits are likewise protected by fuses and have disconnects.  Have I done something wrong here? My thinking was to protect everything from a battery short circuit, but some advice seems to suggest that connections should be direct to the battery terminal .  Thanks for any advice or help or perhaps links to photos or diagrams showing the details of a system properly wired . I've searched a bunch but have only found vague diagrams with no details. I'm still without ground wires but will be running some , I hope before the next thunderstorm.

David
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:04:16 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: hydro system wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:06:51 AM »
David, you seem to be on the right track IMHO, your inverter does need a fuse, but from that direct to the battery. The least amount of connections in the leads from batteries to inverter the better.

There is nothing wrong with an apropriate fuse being a point of disconection, if you need to "disconect" shut down the inverter then pull the fuse. Every connection is a potential voltage drop, although at 48V you are minimising potential problems.

In reality battery short circuits are rare, normaly human caused, I fuse my positive and negative because I run several banks in paralell, some will disagree with my ideas, but that's their problem.

Have a read through some of these......

http://www.sandia.gov/pv/docs/John_Wiles_Code_Corner.htm

allan down under

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:06:51 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.