Author Topic: coil resistance  (Read 1299 times)

montaguema

coil resistance
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »
i know this one has been asked before . the number of turns in a coil can be off by

a turn or to w/out being too detrimental. but what is the resistance factor

if i hook up my ohm [multi] meter? i get a resistance of between .1 to .5 [auto sensing]on the 9 of 12 coils ive wound. if i switch it to measure to the 2nd or 3rd decimal it reads 0.000 always.

i went to radio shach and bought a new multi meter and ended up returning 3

different better models of meters, all with the same tendancy. am i using the meter wrong or how do i measure more precicely if practicle or nessessary

thanks, mark
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:54:15 PM by (unknown) »

montaguema

Re: coil resistance
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »
i will repost this in "wind"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:13:51 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »
Yes this has been asked before and the answer I always give is that multimeters are incapable of measuring the low values of resistance of a coil. In fact they are probably not accurate enough to measure a complete winding except perhaps for a 48v machine.

Unless you have a Kelvin Bridge or special 4 contact Low range milliohmmeter designed for this the only satisfactory way is to use the volt drop method.

Connect the coil in series with a low resistance and a 12v battery. Choose the resistance to give a few amps ( 2 to 5 ohms is fairly convenient). Measure the current on the amps range of your meter or if you know the exact resistance of the resistor you can calculate current from the volt drop across it. Having found the current you can now remove the ammeter and use your meter to measure the volt drop across the coil.

From the current flowing and the volt drop you calculate the coil resistance from Ohm's Law.

You should measure the volt drop in such a way that you don't include the connection resistance to the coil. If you bare the ends of the coil and tightly twist connecting wires to them  about 1/2" from the end for the current you can measure the drop at the ends of the coil connections and it will be free of any connection resistance to the current leads.

I hope you can follow this without a diagram. This has probably been written up by someone and with a bit of luck there may be a drawing somewhere. It is an important issue and something that ought to be in the FAQ section.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:04:25 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »
This is more specific to "Controls. Thats why I resectioned it here.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:21:20 PM by (unknown) »