Author Topic: Trace 4024/generator problems  (Read 1624 times)

Rabrsniver

Trace 4024/generator problems
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
Let me start by saying that I'm trying to diagnose this problem from long distance. I am away working and my wife is "holding down the fort."

She called and said the Trace was showing an Overcurrent error. She has no new loads hooked up - nothing that we haven't had before.

She reset the error, but it keeps returning. (Whether the generator is running or not) Also, the batteries aren't getting charged.

I told her to start the generator by putting the generator menu to ON instead of Auto, but the same result.

Then , when she started it in this way, the generator ran for about 1 minute and shut down.

So I had her turn the generator menu to Off, and start it directly from the generator. It runs fine, but still no battery charging.

One question is - Will the Trace "recognize" the generator this way and try to charge the batteries, or does the menu have to show the generator as "On" in order for the charger to kick in? Or does an Overcurrent error make the charger inoperative somehow?

Any ideas why it only runs for 1 minute before shutting down?

Any ideas/ suggestions that I can relay to her will be greatly appreciated.

Of course she has the Trace manual at her end, but I can access it on-line, but its so big its hard to find stuff, and so far it hasn't been too helpful.

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:27:58 PM by (unknown) »

fishfarm

Re: Trace 4024/generator problems
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »
According to my 4024 manual, the overcurrent error is caused by either too large a load was connected or the AC input or output wiring was short-circuited. It suggests disconnecting the loads then restarting. If it does restart, then reconnect one load at a time to identify the problem. If it does not restart, remove all AC wiring from the terminal block and try to restart. If it still fails, you have an inverter problem.

As to your question about the generator, my unit will charge the batteries if it syncs ok regardless of the starting method (local, remote, inverter manual or inverter auto - never tried with the inverter OFF, though). I suspect it won't charge because of the error.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:12:31 AM by (unknown) »

Rabrsniver

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
Hi Fishfarm,

Yes, I read that info too. The problem is that what they are asking is above the comfort level/capabilities of my wife with regards to electrical work.

She reset the error, put the gen menu back to auto-start, and it fired right up. But the error returned, and the charger isn't working.

John
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:15:43 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »
Try setting the AC or DC (on the charger) to lower current levels in the menus. This involves no electrical work and it can be done through the programming. This will tell you if you have an inverter problem, or that the batteries are really trying to take that big of a charge that its tripping out the AC side (which I doubt). But, anyway, its worth a shot.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:32:24 PM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF