Author Topic: PF correction for washing machine  (Read 8240 times)

12AX7

Watt the hey!
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
don't know why the fonts changed!   I didn't do anything!!!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:50:33 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: PF correction for washing machine
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
I got it today and put it in. It still won't rinse/spin cycle, the startup current is too high. With 35uf on the motor windings the PF only comes up to about .6, but the real power used now varies during the cycle according to the load, sometimes as low as 600 watts.

There is a start cap behind the back shell, the next attempt will be to get a much bigger boost cap for starting.

The PF during startup is less than .3 but the Kill-A-Watt meter doesn't sample fast enough to accurately measure it.

With the run cap installed the washer uses 10% less power overall. .22kwh/wash down from .24kwh/wash.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:03:33 PM by (unknown) »

joestue

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »
Good to know, 10% less is a lot more than one would think.

BTW, surpluscenter dot com has an excellent selection of start/run caps, prices are dirt cheap.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:14:36 PM by (unknown) »
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
That is not all that surprising to me. When refrigerator manufacturers started trying to achieve energy star ratings, the first thing they did was put a run capacitor on the compressor run windings.

My very first post on this forum, back five or six years ago was about how my 4500 watt Harbor Freight generator wouldn't start my air compressor. I needed an air compressor to build my house, so my immediate solution was to use a bigger generator. That worked pretty well, but I also built my own air compressor, out of a smaller motor, and a twin head compressor unit that ran slower, with more storage and less CFM. but it was enough for nail guns. I still use this compressor on a cheap MSW inverter rated at about 1500W and it works great!

My point is that maybe modifying that washing machine is not the best solution to your problem. Maybe it would be better to either change the generator or washing machine to accomplish your goal, which is clean clothes. Heck, it might be more cost effective, and time effective  to go to the laundromat than to try and tweak that washing machine enough to get it to spin on a 1KW generator. It's fun and challenging to try and solve difficult problems, but there comes a point where whittling that square peg becomes an exercise in futility.

Just my .002

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:43:52 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:46 AM »
VF;

It's fun and challenging to try and solve difficult problems, but there comes a point where whittling that square peg becomes an exercise in futility.

I find myself thinking the same thing [rather late usually] on projects where I try to use items onhand.

You can end up spending a fair bit more resources than other options by trying to use that "free" part you have on hand.

I won't go into detail because some instances are embarrassing.

Just wanted to toss that out there, not to discourage using what is to hand just pointing out a pitfall of that process.

Tom.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:10:46 AM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
Blowing $2m on $150k of "free" stuff...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/20/no_osborne_effect_at_osborne/

Rgds

Damon