Author Topic: Protecting SMA "Windy Boy"  (Read 964 times)

Wa

Protecting SMA "Windy Boy"
« on: July 03, 2004, 08:05:24 AM »
the SMA windy boy gridtie inverter gives me the chance to make a safe UL listed way to make power on my hill - the problem is, only the awp 3.6 has a factory designed A.R.E. voltage clamp  - it is a voltage, current control in front of the inverter - it has a dump load in case the inverter detaches during utility outage - they suggest a scenario of a genny spinning in storm, and at that moment, the grid goes down - the dc voltage swing would be high, and the genny would be unloaded

i would like to design a throttle circuit, basically an igbt dimmer, on each of the three phases of a PMA, before rectification - the three pwm outputs would be synchronized from one monitor circuit - there would also need to be a dumpload circuit to keep the genny consistantly loaded -  to control after rectification, seems much more daunting, and the components more expensive

is there someone out there that can design a circuit with me, that can adapt to some of the varied designs on this board for grid tie, high voltage wind gennies?

thanks much,

warren

« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 08:05:24 AM by (unknown) »

Victor

Re: Protecting SMA "Windy Boy"
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 12:18:50 PM »
Hi Warren,

"to control after rectification, seems much more daunting, and the components more expensive"

How so. A PWM  shunt circut controlling a dump load after rectification only requires one series element and no syncronization. Remember all you are trying to do  is limit max voltage to the windyboy.

I am presently building a circut to mate a rebuilt  7 meter diameter Jacobs to three Windyboys. The Jake is a different animal though, with a wound field and the ability to be run unloaded because of the pitch controlled governor.

Make the wind fun!

Victor Creazzi

Aerofire Windpower

« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 12:18:50 PM by (unknown) »