Author Topic: eBike Batteries.  (Read 1252 times)

NickCoons

eBike Batteries.
« on: November 04, 2004, 12:10:06 AM »
Several weeks back, I posted about wanting to build an eBike.  I started out by saying that the first part was to purchase a cheap used mountain bike locally, which I did.  I've made various needed improvements (replaced the seat with one much more comfortable, replaced worn brake pads, etc), but it needs a few more minor tweaks.

In any case, from the advice I received on the previous thread, and from my own research, I think I've decided to go with the equipment from www.goldenmotor.com.  The battery that they have is an SLA, but those are classically heavy, bulky, and from what I understand need to be charged immediately after use.

I'd like a battery that is as light and small as possible, and one that will accommodate my sporadic battery-charging habits.  So I'm thinking of using NiMH batteries.  The motor requires 36V.  At 1.2V each, that's 30 D-sized batteries.

Here's what I'm wondering.. should I come as close to 36V as I can (by using 30 batteries), or should I try to go beyond 36V by one or two batteries to make sure that as the power is drained it remains at or above 36V for as long as possible?  My understanding with NiMH (as opposed to alkalines) is that they will maintain their voltage all the way down to about 20% capacity.  If that's the case, I would guess that using 30 batteries would be sufficient.

Or should I use something other than NiMH?  One other advantage here is that they would be significantly lighter than SLA at the same capacity (right?), but they are also small and can be distributed on the bicyle (i.e. strapped to the frame) instead of a single SLA battery that would put a lot of weight and bulkiness on one portion of the bike.

What would be the best and fastest way to charge 30 of these batteries?  I know I could break them down and use 8 4-battery chargers, but collectively these chargers would be expensive and also take a lot of space.  Or can I break them into 10-battery segments and use a 12V charger that would be able to charge them quickly (1-2 hours)?  Is there a specific 12V charger for NiMH?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 12:10:06 AM by (unknown) »

JeroenH

Re: eBike Batteries.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:18:19 AM »
For charging NiMH batteries look into the modelling world (remote controlled airplanes and cars, not the skinny women showing fancy clothes).

There are various brands of chargers for all kinds of battery chemistries, from lead-acid all the way to lithium-polymer and anything in between. The more complex (and of course expensive) ones also have discharge and diagnose functiones for battery maintenance.

www.ezonemag.com has some tests, you'd have to search the archive.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:18:19 AM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 02:46:45 AM »
ebikes have come a long ways--they have eletric motocross bikes now that can outrun

a honda 250 cr at the starting line.. lost track of the web site--but these bikes

look just like motorcycles-with full shocks and all..i belive they top out at 14 hp.

real fast with compact battery packs--that last for a lot of laps..

check google--
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:46:45 AM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

juiced

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 05:22:42 AM »
Really?! Oh boy.. look out. :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 05:22:42 AM by (unknown) »

eureka

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 09:18:03 PM »
Have a look at this web site - V is for Voltage http://www.visforvoltage.com/forums/  they have discussions on all types of bikes/trikes/scooters including full sized roadbikes and motocross. I like the Blade and GRP.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:18:03 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »
Actually, how did the ebike from goldenMotor work out?  I'm thinking of purchasing one.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:51:58 AM by (unknown) »