Author Topic: Utility Disconnect  (Read 1414 times)

(unknown)

Utility Disconnect
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:59:57 PM »
How do I go about detecting when the Utility power has failed and I need to disconnect my generator so as not to fry some poor guy working on the pole? I can't use a simple relay since any point accessible by me will still be powered by my gen head. I could sense the increase in RPMs once I loose the speed control imposed by the AC mains, but I'm running a Lister-style motor (running on WVO) with ~700lbs of flywheel - so it may take too long to react.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Dave Walton

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:59:57 PM by (unknown) »

ourfarm

Re: Utility Disconnect
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »
Are you talking about using the lister for net metering ?

Regards

My98tj
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 06:06:42 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 06:33:33 PM »
Yes. I am concerned about the disconnect at the moment. This would also apply to other methods of generating power, right?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 06:33:33 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 08:48:27 PM »
1) For net metering and other backfeeds you MUST use an APPROVED COMMERCIAL device to perform the intertie.  You do NOT get to homebrew this.

Get an inverter with a backfeed capability or a companion backfeed adapter.

2) If you just want to switch some or all of your loads manually from line to local generation you need an on-line, off, on-local disconnect switch.  In most places the electrical or fire codes will require this to be accessabe to the fire department at the corner of the building or farther out - where the main disconnet would be in a purely line-fed house - in order for firemen to turn off all the power in the house.  (And you need a separate circuit for the well so they can leave THAT on, even if they really never use it.)

(I'm certain 1) will be true essentailly everywhere.  Power companies don't want to cook their employees and don't trust their lives to hobbiests.  You may find some jurisdictions where there's some relaxation on 2) - but AFAIK the "universal" electrical code goes with 2) and most jurisdictions in the US incorporate it by reference - though they may make local modifications or have local interpretations.  Final authority is your local inspector - and if you do something off-code and have a fire you can count on your homeowners insurance company denying your claim.)

I dumped several hundred bux on a on-off-on switch for my house just to be able to go off-grid later.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:48:27 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 09:03:47 PM »
I'm all for #1. Can you point me in the right direction (suppliers)? I'm generating AC, so would like to avoid the Inverter route. Would also like to know how they work, even if I buy one off the shelf.

No need to shout.

Thanks

-Dave Walton

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 09:03:47 PM by (unknown) »

Peppyy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »
I believe that Harbor Freight has some reasonable ones last time I looked.

It is, as forementioned, always best to consult an electrician tho.I did my

Dad's for him but he is an electrician so it wasn't a problem. We added a

neon indicator light on the utility side of the manual disconnect so we knew

when the power was back on. Nice to know when they are back online without

having to drive to the neighbors house.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:12:59 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
Could I trouble you for a link? I was not able to find anything close on the Harbor Freight site.

Thanks

-Dave Walton

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 08:50:57 PM by (unknown) »