Author Topic: would it be wise to put a grid tie switch etc on new house?  (Read 1021 times)

picmacmillan

would it be wise to put a grid tie switch etc on new house?
« on: January 12, 2005, 01:32:35 PM »
i was just reading a post on grid tie stuff....my question is, i am building a new house and would like to have some opinions on what you would do, if you could do it over again, or what might cost less to do at once rather than retrofit later.....we live in ontario, so i have heard that gridtie is outrageously expensive but there is a big buz here about alternative energy......

what i am asking is, would you have the house wired for gridtie now or would you wait....

should i get the breaker switches needed now or wait

i have a gut feeling that in the next ten years or so we will see a change in our communuists veiw(i mean government) :)  and i would like to be a head of the game..... anyhow, i have been told it is very expensive to grid tie but truthfully have not ventured on to ask.

I was thinking of just putting double wiring in the house; one for my windmills, solar panels , and the other for on grid use. i was also thinking of having some kind of setup where i can just click a switch to my coleman generator when we have our bi-weekly power outages in the north.....what do you suggest? if you were me, what would you do?..thanks in advance.....pickster

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:32:35 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Belt and Suspenders
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:51:46 AM »
My view is to provide for the future.  I am a big fan of wiring in conduit.  And, I would put in 3 runs, one for communication, one for now and one for whatever the future brings.  

My panel would be centrally located to keep the runs short so I could use all 3/4" conduit for my two electrical runs. My communication run would be 1/2".  Temporary wiring could be placed in the second run for the generator and avoid tying it to the grid power.

Builders have a responcibility individuals don't have.  I think anything one pays for has to meet certain standards.  These standards include codes the individual can, at times, ignore.

Good Luck - and keep that code book open.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 06:51:46 AM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 08:09:01 AM »
I would have liked some heavy DC wiring in the walls.  

There is no good way in this house (1920) to get it up to the second floor. Should have thought about that before the insulation. Don't use much RE in the house anyway.

G-
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 08:09:01 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller