Author Topic: ups/inverter  (Read 1740 times)

Trivo

ups/inverter
« on: January 22, 2005, 08:40:05 AM »
I picked up 3 of these UPS at the dump for $20m each and I have recharged one of them and all ok. They are rated at 1kw and run of 5 x 12v 7.5ah Batteries so I guess that if I supply 60vdc from an external bank of batteries then it would act as an inverter? If so can you connect all 3 up and get 3000kw or does it not work like that.

Trivo

« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 08:40:05 AM by (unknown) »

rotornuts

Re: ups/inverter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:09:06 AM »
Sorry I know nothing of the question you asked but I wanted to comment on finding these at the dump. I can think of no more appropriate way to say this so WHAT THE HELL WERE THESE DOING AT THE DUMP!!! I was thinking about this tonight at work because I recently saved a 1 year old DVD player from heading to the dump. The guy said he couldn't get the power to come on so I told him him I'd take it. 4 new capacitors on the power supply salvaged from an old vcr and it works great. This thing now sits where my old DVD player sits as it wouldn't play CDr's, old DVD player goes into storage just in case. I have very little experience with electronics but when I looked in the dvd player and saw that 4 of the caps on the power supply had bulging tops and yellow goo  and the rest didn't I fiqured what the heck.

When I look around my place and see all the salvaged stuff it makes me happy and sick. Happy I got it for free plus some repair cost or my labour but sick to think had I not intervened it would be under the dirt. Heck I just realized I'm typing this on a salvaged computer!

Why oh why does so much good stuff end up getting turfed???????

It's an adsolute shame shame shame.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your post.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 03:09:06 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 03:54:37 AM »
So much stuff gets turfed because of those stupid "No consumer serviceable parts inside" labels!! Those just plain need to be outlawed completely!!

How many times have I changed a blown fuse in something like a microwave that was totally dead and it worked like new! I would call a fuse "User Serviceable"!

Back to UPS.

What country is that UPS for?? Looks like a strange plug on the back, I am USA power here. Anyway to answer you question, NO you probably can not connect the 3 together for triple the power. Yes, if you connect the batteries correctly it should work as an inverter fine.

I have a 120V 600 watt output with 24Vdc input, I used 2 12V deepcycles for the 24vdc input and it worked fine, done it with others too.

How long they last may depend on various things, quality of the unit, how heavy you load it, if it runs contionous or just once in a while. These are really only inteneded to be used as backup power for electronics and such for short periods normally. Some will work great as a inverter for a long long time and cheapies may fry soon. Looks like you might have a good one from the pics. Nice big heat sinks and fans are a plus.

How heavy you load it of course makes a lot of difference. If yours are say 1kw and you try to run a 1kw electric heater for 10hrs a day I wouldn't expect it to last long.

On the other hand, it might run your frig and other stuff for months or years.

You should be able to connect all 3 to the same battery bank to power them and get 3kw total, 3X 1kw each, but you probably won't be able to connect them together on the output to run any 2kw or 3kw loads, just 3 1kw loads at the same time.

As for using them all on the same battery bank, I don't see any real problem with that off hand as long as they are all wired for the same DC input, but might want to check that out a bit more to be sure.  If it weren't for needing so many batteries for each one I'd say run each on it's own bank. That way if one goes dead you still have power to the others instead of them all going dead at once and having no power at all.

I can't make out in the pic what it says for amps on the serail tag. 2 Places I see 250V at 10amp?? 2500 watts??? On the outlet I figure that's just the outlet rating if conected to regular lines, but printed on the case it says that too but I can't see why exactly from here. Is that Circuit protection, and if so is that for your house lines or the built in protection on the unit for over loads?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 03:54:37 AM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 04:58:12 AM »
my dad worked for the airforce----

everything had a shelve life- even never used materale--tools- machinery- you name it..

when that shelve life was up --they took everything to the dump and buried it!!!

needless to say we had a fully stocked shop--thanks to?

this was going on in the 50s and 60s and is still goig on........

no surprize right?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 04:58:12 AM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

drdongle

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 05:49:27 AM »
Just so you know these units put out 240 volts. Those are 240 volt outlets on the back and the specs label say 240 volts 50 Hz out. I'll bet that there 240 in as well. If your in N.A. you'll need a 240 to 120 transformer which is probably a good idea for isolation as well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 05:49:27 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 09:38:09 AM »
They look like a Down Under plug to me.

I think the standard there is 240v 50hz.

G-
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 09:38:09 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Trivo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 03:28:40 PM »
Dead right Perth westcoast of australia one the third windiest city in the world

Trivo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 03:28:40 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »
Because of the circuit protector, it looks to me like an inverter rating of 2500 watts.  250v X 10a = 2500w.

Possibly the batteries hold it back to 1000w?

Those little 7ah batteries will not like putting out 46 amps! 2500w / 60v = 42amps, + 10% for losses.  

At 1000w, the batteries only need to put out 18a.

(US near the Great lakes. Not much wind usually. Tonight though, 35mph/55kph wind, -7'C, a foot of snow. Just nasty.)

I don't see these often. Someone else should chime in with better advice.

G-

« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 04:49:25 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller