Author Topic: Variable Reluctance Stepper  (Read 957 times)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Variable Reluctance Stepper
« on: February 04, 2005, 04:07:31 PM »
Hi all,

I have never seen the insides of one of these.  The educational drawings look promising for some fun.

It is 24v, 3 phase, 1.25A per phase, 0.25 ohms per phase, 15 degree step, 350pps max.

The body is 2" dia, 2.75" long.

Is there any room for magnets in one of these?

Would it do any good?  The drawings look promising, but are probably way over simplified.

Thanks,

G-

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:07:31 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Chiron

Re: Variable Reluctance Stepper
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 10:24:57 AM »
If it "cogs" it will probably produce current when turned as is. I've been playing with the stepper motors out of a scrapped Canon printer and getting 6VAC @ 100mA  on each phase just turning them by hand. I'm not seriously considering using them for producing on a turbine since they seem a bit flimsy for that.

HTH

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 10:24:57 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks Chiron,

This thing is different from anything I ever saw.  And I haven't seen this one either.

I read this type has NO magnets in it now.

An 'X' shaped iron 'armature' is attracted to the energised coils, like a nail to an electromagnet.

This one seems quite large, and I was wondering about just adding magnets to the armature.  Like a 3 phase 'Y' connection conversion.  I don't know if there is space for magnets, or anything else about them.  The advertised numbers don't work out to me or Mr. Ohm.

G-

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:49:28 AM by (unknown) »

Chiron

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 04:55:08 PM »
I have seen that type of stepper but I've never tried converting one to a generator. I'd think if you could turn the rotor down and attach magnets to it it would produce current when turned. You might have to experiment with the polarities of the magnets but I'd guess.

N

S   S

N

Your probably getting lower readings on the resistance of the coils because they were meant to be used with AC and your measuring DC resistance. The coils would act as inductors and when an AC current is applied they would show more resistance (reactance but I'll keep it simple) than it would with a DC voltage.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:55:08 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 08:25:45 AM »
I don't have it. The numbers are from a catalog.

The best representation I can find shows the magnets should go N-N-S-S. N opposite S.  Not important now.  As long as they fit.

If I find something I need in the catalog, I'll order a few ($3).  I love ruining new stuff!

G-

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 08:25:45 AM by (unknown) »