Author Topic: is this compressor good for anything?  (Read 930 times)

picmacmillan

is this compressor good for anything?
« on: February 17, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »
here is some pictures of a compressor i salvaged from a bar that was scheduled for demoliton...it worked fine when i removed it....it was used to keep the beer coolers cold...is it any good for anything...i am sure it is, but would like to know what i can use it for?...thanks...pickster

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 02:21:51 PM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

Re: is this compressor good for anything?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:09:38 AM »
How about burying a copper tube as an evaporator and turning it into a ground source heat pump. you'de need an expansion valve also by the looks of it.

John.........
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:09:38 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:39:44 AM »
That's a condensing unit. Might be worth $100-$200 to the right person. If anyone is selling used resturant equipment in your area, see what they'll give you for it. If a person had to go out and buy something like that new, it would run at least $400 I'd say.

Other uses: Those compressors will work both as a vacuum pump and as a small air compressor. I'd say you can probably pull 15"WC vacuum with the thing and pump 150PSI on the high side, if you're patient enough. You can weld to the copper fittings with silver solder and either air/acetylene or oxy/acetyline. I've installed dozens of compressors in domestic refrigerators, just make sure your fitings are clean and don't breathe the gas if you set the oil/freon on fire in the tube.

And guess what's in that bluish gray barrel? Dessicant. Water inside a refrigeration system = bad.

Volvo Farmer
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:39:44 AM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

phil b

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 08:46:15 AM »
I've used these units to evacuate the air from automotive a/c units after repairs. You can also use them to pressurize them to check for leaks.

2cents
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:46:15 AM by (unknown) »
Phil

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 10:28:12 AM »
Such compressors are normally lubricated by a high vapor-pressure oil that circulates with the refrigerant.

If you're going to use them as vacuum or air pumps you have to lube them by injecting a tiny amount of oil into the intake side, either continuously with a fitting or from time to time.  Otherwise the oil will eventually evaporate, leave with the airflow, and they'll self-destruct.

You'll also need an oil trap if you're using it for a source of compressed air.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:28:12 AM by (unknown) »

BrianK

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 03:16:08 PM »
I have an old style freon pump that is belt driven . I haven't ever really thought about what that could be used for , but the guy that I got it from used it for an air comp. and it seemed to work fine but slow. Any ideas for this one??? It still has the motor hooked up and runs fine.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 03:16:08 PM by (unknown) »