Author Topic: Magnet strength - vs - wire gauge  (Read 1337 times)

knight4713

Magnet strength - vs - wire gauge
« on: March 02, 2005, 12:38:39 AM »
My thrifty wife has been looking for parts for my / our first wind machine.  I've wanted to build one for a while and she decided now was the time to start buying parts.   She found 2"x1"x1/2" neos N40 grade.  The Dan's plan calls for same size but N35 Neos.  Does this change my windings in some way?  How can I compensate?  Larger gauge?  More windings?  

Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 12:38:39 AM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: Magnet strength - vs - wire gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 10:44:25 PM »
Being a wind noob with no genny, I can give you what I think I know.

The 40's should be a little more powerful than the 35's, but that wont hurt your plans. Other than that, I dont know if it would give you much more power to get bigger wire or not. More coils will just give you more voltage regardless. Bigger wire will carry more power without heating as much from resistance, which means more amperage.

Someone jump in and help more. :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 10:44:25 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 01:30:35 AM »
The change of grade will not make much difference. You will be able to tolerate a bit larger gap between the magnets and stator for the same conditions.

You could keep the same gap and use a few less turns for the same cut in speed, I doubt that you could get a larger wire size in unless you have several smaller wires in hand.

Other factors come into the equation that makes it difficult to give a definite answer.  If you have a short low resistance line to your batteries, any lower resistance may cause additional stalling if you lower the alternator resistance. If you have a long line, the lower resistance will help.

I would be inclined to reduce the number of turns about 5%, keep the same size wire and leave it at that. If it still stalls, open the air gap.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 01:30:35 AM by (unknown) »

knight4713

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:12:07 PM »
Fewer turns with more powerful magnets...  I'm sure that's right, just seems like you would be able to put more wire in there with more powerful magnets and get more power.  

It will be my first genny so I don't have a tower yet nor do I know how far to the batteries it will be.  It will be on our new property 7+ acres of old pasture with a pond.  I will have MANY options and will probably have many gennies when it's all done... if it ever is.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 12:12:07 PM by (unknown) »