Author Topic: wiring up my first 3 phase genny  (Read 1141 times)

Aaron

wiring up my first 3 phase genny
« on: March 04, 2005, 04:44:36 AM »
Hello,

I'm making a dual rotor (12") 3 phase alternator based on the otherpower experiments, using 11g wire and 12 (24 total) trianglular neos from ed @ windstuffnow. Since I'm a metalworker by trade I'm making my own disks and bearing assembly. I'm wondering  just how many coils I should make and how to go about wiring them together. I'm new to this and have not really been able to find a good diagram to follow for the wiring. (saw one once, a red and green illustration, can't find it now!)I know I need to wire three coils in series but not really sure how to go about this. My goal is not necessarily to charge batteries but to produce as much light as I can while the machine is working @low rpms. Star or delta? Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Also, noticed the latest experiments have had the wiring connections inside the resin of the stator. I basically  just need to know how to make the wire connections. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Aaron
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:44:36 AM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: wiring up my first 3 phase genny
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:55:51 PM »
google search the board under coil design or stator winding . check out windstuff ed and electric ed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 09:55:51 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 06:17:22 AM »
Hi Aaron - I wonder how many windings you have per coil?  For this type of machine, I would prefer thicker magnets.   The thinner/smaller your magnets are, the less output you'll have at any given rpm.

You should wire the alternator in Star.  Star is like a series connection, Delta is like a parallel connection.  Star will give you the highest voltage at any given rpm.

Each coil has a start and an end.  There are 3 coils in series per phase.  So, each phase is like this...

start(out)/end  -start/end - start/end(out)

youll have 3 phases like that.  Once you get all the phases in there, then tie all starts together (or all the ends)  - thats your 'star' connection.  The remaining 3 leads coming out would be your output.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 06:17:22 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

picmacmillan

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 06:26:29 AM »
hello.....the first couple gennys i made were wired in star....it is very simple..they start up in low winds better than delta...because your machine is three phase, you wire each coil in the phase as follows.....it looks as though you will be using 9 coils as you have 12 magnets per disc....so, put all the coils in one phase together by taking the finish wire from coil 1 and solder it to the start wire of # 2coil and take the finish wire of 2 and attach it to the start wire of #3...there is one phase done...this will leave you with a start wire and a finish wire for 1 complete phase......now do this for the other 2 phases and what you should end up with is 3 start wires and 3 finish wires..........the last part is to take either the 3 start wires, or the 3 finish wires and solder them all together in a bunch...you take whatever 3 wires you did not solder and they go out to the ac connections on your bridge rectifiers....if you need more information do like the above post mentions as what i have explained is in windstuffeds site....pickster
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 06:26:29 AM by (unknown) »

Aaron

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 05:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the words. I get the wiring part now. I bought some #11 wire (really thick) and I'm considering making about thirty windings per coil. Does this sound about right for the size of my magnets or should I go with thinner wire and more coils? Thanks for the help, Aaron
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 05:59:40 PM by (unknown) »