Author Topic: Custom Laptop Battery  (Read 992 times)

NickCoons

Custom Laptop Battery
« on: April 26, 2005, 04:45:45 AM »
I want to make my own laptop battery using AA NiMH batteries.  My AC adapter puts out 15V at 4A, so I figured I could run 12 in series (1.2V * 12 = 14.4V).  I have a bunch of 2000mAh AA NiMH, so I thought these might work well.  Then I can put blocks of 12 (i.e. 24, 36, etc) in parallel for more capacity.  24 of these batteries are $40 at Fry's Electronics, so this type of battery would be significantly cheaper than purchasing a new laptop battery, and it would provide flexibility (I can easily break the block apart and use the AA batteries individually for something else if needed).  Then the block just plugs in where my AC adapter would normally go, and the laptop thinks it's running on AC.

However, this presents on problem.  I have no way to efficiently charge these.  Most chargers that I've seen will charge 4 at a time.  I'd like to be able to charge 24 at a time, and I'd really like to be able to have the option to charge them with either 12VDC or 110VAC.

Is there an easy way to do this without purchasing a rather expensive already-built charger?  Can I use a rapid charger that charges 4 batteries and plug them in parallel (so it takes longer to charge, of course), or will this screw with the electronics so it isn't able to properly detect when a battery is fully charged?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:45:45 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: Custom Laptop Battery
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:11:51 AM »
I was able to buy a new battery on eBay for my laptop, $55.

Or a reconditioned (with new cells) for $45.

Then no problems with charging, batteries fitting etc.

I considered, went with the new battery. No regrets.

Have fun.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 12:11:51 AM by (unknown) »

JeroenH

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:23:27 AM »
I think you have two options:

There are lot of simple ciruits you can build yourself to limit the charge current to 1/10 C (200mA in this case for one pack). That way you can charge a pack without supervision. 1/10C will not overcharge the pack.

The other option is looking to the aeromodelling industry. I flew electric airplanes for a few years and there are many, many chargers for sale in all price categories. Fastchargers, slowchargers, chargers for exotic chemistries etc.

Check for instance www.ezonemag.com

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 01:23:27 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:49:31 AM »
Avoid the rapid chargers (AKA "Battery Killers").

C/10 or less is the way to go.

C/5 will not overcharge according to Eveready.

(good tech info on their site)

They need about 1.45v per cell to be full.

A cheap way would be to build one from a door bell tramsformer.

Most of them are 16VAC, reasonably made and inexpensive.

It will still need to limit current and voltage.

I would go 17.5VDC and 180ma max, tapering to 80~100ma.

G-

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 08:49:31 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nanotech

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »
Yes, check with your local hobby store.

The E-Maxx R/C truck uses two 7.2V packs in series for the drive motor (14.4V).  And the charger that comes with the truck charges the batteries without removing them, so it charges 14.4V.....

I have a charger for my R/C equipment that does everything from 6V all the way up to 24V.  Mind you, it also only connects to a car battery  :(

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 06:46:46 PM by (unknown) »