Author Topic: Old circuit diagram  (Read 1549 times)

(unknown)

Old circuit diagram
« on: May 03, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »
Many years ago, prior to my needs for today, I saw an old diagram for the rewiring of the circuitry in an automobile alternator so that it put out a resonably steady source of 120V (like) voltage at about 60hz.  Was this just wishful remembering on my part or did I really see it?  Next, if the possiblity is there, can anyone help me to a diagram source?  Thanks.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 01:28:06 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Old circuit diagram
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 07:16:26 AM »
Could you be remembering a 120V DC circuit?

That 60hz part makes it impracticial if not impossible, I think.

G-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:16:26 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:15:14 AM »
I think some alternators if you take out the regulator they just are 120Vac. Like the Delco type maybe. Been a long time but there is a pin on the back in a hole, if you sort that to the case it by passes the regulater (or shorts it out) .

Funny thing I wonder about today, they make a big deal about some cars and such comming out with 120Vac stuff and the alternator being able to put out the power. Do they just tap in behind the regulator for a second feed for the 120Vac and go through the regulator for the 12Vdc feed?

I have not done it much myself and it was long long ago, but I am pretty sure it was just shorting the pin in the back. You may want to check into that.

Also I been buying alot of books from lindsey publishing (however you spell it) and I beleave they have a book on alternator secrets that will tell you about this better probably. Might want to try them out, or find the book so you know what your looking for then search the web for more info on it.

Alot of these books I beleave are re-prints of old stuff alot of us still want and buy :)

As such alot is public domain also and freely available on the web, alot is not, and alot is new books too. Think the alternator book maybe publc domain now.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:15:14 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:39:03 AM »
yes, you can get 120v dc or even 120v ac 3 phase if you spin it fast enough, but the frequency will be very high in the hundreds of Hz. For power tools and lighting it is ok but for anything that needs 60 Hz its not possible.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:39:03 AM by (unknown) »

monte350c

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:00:20 PM »
You can read about that here:

http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/Alternator/alternator.htm

Not mine - but seems like a correct and fairly complete description.

As Flux said the frequency will be pretty high!

Ted.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:00:20 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 01:38:23 AM »
Thank you,

been wanting that again, I had lost it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 01:38:23 AM by (unknown) »

RC in FL

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 07:08:33 PM »
Car alternator is three phase generator with full wave rectifiers.

Normally the field winding is pulsed to regulate the output to about 14 vdc in a car.  The longer the battery is kept connected to field winding the higher the magnetic field and the more voltage (or current depending on load and speed) is produced.

If you hard wire field winding and spin the alternator fast enough, with a relatively light load you can get 120 vdc out. It will not be regulated and voltage will drop with load level.

The rectifier diodes are not rated for this high of voltage and they may blow out.

Bottom line, not recommended.

Run it as designed into a 12 v battery and hook up an AC inverter to battery.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 07:08:33 PM by (unknown) »