Author Topic: Morningstar Sunguard Controller  (Read 1814 times)

Charlane

Morningstar Sunguard Controller
« on: July 17, 2005, 05:08:15 AM »
Hi all.  I've got to 4.5 amp Sunguard controllers that I know I soldered correctly and I have a reading coming from the panels at over and above 12 volts, but I can't figure out how to tell if I am getting a minimum of 2 amps input to the battery from the controller with my meter in full sun.  I have just a standard inexpensive meter.  I just want to know that the controller is doing it's job.  Thanks.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 05:08:15 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Shunt
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:08:21 AM »
You might be able to make a 'shunt' and read the voltage across that if your meter has no direct reading capacity.

Ron

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 07:08:21 AM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Morningstar Sunguard Controller
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 07:26:01 AM »
DO NOT test between the SG-4 and the panel!

Easiest to test the battery volts with the meter set to 20VDC. If the battery voltage goes up, the controller is working.

(never test amps between the yellow and black wires, and never short the wires between the controller and panel. It will ruin the controller.)

Aren't those wires a bugger to solder?

G-

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 07:26:01 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Charlane

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:46:15 AM »
Too late for that.  I did test the panel pre controller.  I tested on 20dvc too (battery).  Voltage is not rising.  So I guess there is no way to get a direct reading on the output of the controller itself then other than to read what the battery is doing.

I take it you had already ruined a controller or two before?

Charlane

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 08:46:15 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:35:38 PM »
If your meter reads millivolts you can try this:

• Find the wire from the charge controller output to the battery.  You want something of moderate thickness (like numbers in the teens, not a several-0s battery cable) with a few feet of run and NO joints or connections.
  • Solder a small wire to the copper of this wire, near the connection, at each end.
  • Run these wires to your meter.
  • With your panel in full sun gradually turn your meter sensitivity up until you get a reading, somewhere in the millivolt range.

You're using the copper wire for a shunt.

You can acutally calibrate this - calculating a multiplier for the meter reading to compute a decent measure of current - or even calculate an approximation of the multiplier from the length and number of the wire, to get within 20% or so.

Note that the temperature of the wire will have a significant effect on your reading.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 12:35:38 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 02:20:54 PM »
Actually, I'm a dealer / installer / wholesaler / etc.

That said, yup, sure did, I killed a few.

Been there, done that. And I will do it again!

Maybe you got lucky.

I say never test there because my customers think if testing Volts is OK, then testing amps is OK, and that is not OK.

Set the meter to 20VDC. In good sun.  With the battery connected. Test the controller red to the battery + terminal. It should be almost 0.  Test the (either) controller black to battery - terminal. It should be almost 0.  If either tests over 0.2V, the wire or clamps or connection between the controller and battery terminal is bad.

(Maybe a bad solder connection. The wire coating/protector they use is hard to solder to. Use extra rosin flux or just let the solder drip off for a while. I prefere scraping the stuff off with a knife until I see copper, then I solder.)

With the battery connected, test the battery V and the solar V.  If the battery V is under or about 13V, the difference between battery V and solar V should be less than 0.2V.  If the solar V is 18 or 20V, check the battery clamps are not making contact.

Disconnect the battery.  Touch the controller outputs (red and black) together for a second, then seperate them. Test the voltage between, it should be 0 or less than 1V.  Sometimes it will read the solar volts because the controller is confused.  Start over 3 or 4 times.  Then let it sit a few minutes, touch the battery clamps together for 20 seconds and try again.  You want to prove it DOES shut off.

If those are OK, it is probably good.

Next step, disconnect the panel, then connect the battery. Meter on 20Vdc. Test the yellow to black. It should be 0 or less than 1V.  If it is about the same voltage as the battery, the controller is shot.

(do not use cutters to cut both yellow and black wires at the same time. Don't let them touch now either.)

A few things to keep in mind...

A 2A panel is kind of small for a car size battery, and it will take a few minutes for it to rise 0.1V even in decent sun.

A Morningstar controller will not charge a battery below 8V at least. Sometimes 9V. A well planed safety feature.

If the battery is below 9V, I would suggest charging it first with another charger to get it past 12.0V.  Then see if the battery V rises. Then if it is not rising do the tests.

The type meter I figure you have has a fuse for lower amps. But not for high amps, meaning the 10 (or 20A) setting.  It may say next to where the meter lead goes in only for high amps "10A (or 20A) Unfused".  

Just in case the fuse is blown, you could try setting the meter to 10 or 20A DC and testing.  Disconnect the red (+) battery clamp.  Put the red meter lead to the red battery clamp. And the black meter lead to the battery positive (+).

The reading should be over 1A in decent sun.  There should NOT be a (-) before the number.  This is the direct reading if the battery tests under about 13.2V.

(I blow my share of meter fuses too!)

A more accurate test is to check frequency or duty cycle, if the battery is about full.  That is an expensive meter.  I don't think it is neccessary.

There are a half dozen ways to prove a $30 controller is shot or working without a $200 meter.

The SG-4 is a great controller. I see it outperform units costing over double.  Just don't second guess it without a good reason!

Is this a US32 panel?  What kind of battery?

Let us know how the testing goes. Maybe I can suggest what is next.

G-

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 02:20:54 PM by (unknown) »

Charlane

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:44:59 PM »
Hi and thanks for all of the info.  I am just connecting one 35 watt solar panel to 2 L16 batts at this time (I have 4 L16 batts presently and am gathering more deep cycles).  I have another 35 watt panel and one 400 watt wind generator that I have yet to hang on a pole.  I'm getting this together slowly but surely.  It all started with me resurrecting my batts with EDTA and now I'm off and running.  I have another 100 watt amorphous panel that I need to research about how to fix because some of the cells lost continuity and I don't know to use conductive epoxy or solder or what.  Do you know how to go about fixing these?  BTW, I have a c35 Trace controller for the wind generator since I have those 2 bloody Sunguards for the 35 watt panels.

Charlane

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:44:59 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 06:06:39 AM »
Wow! With a 2 amp panel and 2 L16 batts, it is going to take a long time to notice much voltage increase.  It would probably be fine to connect them with just a blocking diode.

I had a lot of older Chronar(sp?) 1A thin-film PVs that half had various problems.

Nothing I tried fixed a single one. 15 or 20 went into the dumpster.

G-

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:06:39 AM by (unknown) »

Charlane

Re: Shunt
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 10:12:38 AM »
So do you have plans for a 35A or 40A regulator?  I know there are some plans on here but everyone has an opinion as to which is the better performer, easier to make, etc.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Charlane

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:12:38 AM by (unknown) »