Author Topic: Help  (Read 1218 times)

Jesse

Help
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:38:16 PM »

Here is my post again: third try: If there is a problem and the webmaster is clearing it please let me know. And Why? This is all new to me, but can I wire several trickle chargers together? I plan to keep with the 12v system but want to boost the watts. I do not want to use a larger panel. What do I need? Do I need a voltage regulator? How many can I wire together? Do I need anything special between each panel?

Special precautions?

Editors Note:

Jesse, the problem is you do not provide enough information to get a good answer. We left it up this time so you can learn why it was not passed thru the editorial process the first 3 times. Grid powered trickle chargers do not really qualify as topical here, either. You should give us more information to go on such as system size your usage, etc. You might want to read This to understand how our editing process works.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 02:38:16 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 01:27:25 PM »
I'm guessing you mean you have little tiny solar panels for trickle chargers?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:27:25 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

halfcrazy

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 04:02:30 PM »
jesse i posted earlier but it disappeared my posts tend to do that. there shouldnt be any problem hooking those trickle charge panels together and i would probably recomend a charge controller just to be safe.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 04:02:30 PM by (unknown) »

Jesse

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 05:30:26 PM »
For my high school science project I am planning on using the VW battery chargers. Max 3.2 watts, 18.8v, 13.8v regulated at the plug. (cig adapter). 170 ma but as high as 200ma according to one seller. size 9 1/4" x 12 3/4". I am planning on building a solar car using these. They are readily available and used. I know I could get more bang for my buck by using larger panels but I want to show the process and how these small panels can be recycled into something bigger than what they were originally intended for.

Sorry about the posting problem, I though my computer had a virus or something, one second my post was up then it was gone.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 05:30:26 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 07:48:37 AM »
It won't need anything special. The controllers are in the panels.

Check that the open circuit voltage in full sun is about 13.8VDC, because I have a VW panel with a bad controller going 24VDC.

By 'solar car' and 'high school science project', I hope you mean a model.

Good luck,

G-

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 07:48:37 AM by (unknown) »

Jesse

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 05:24:56 PM »
I am building the model this right now and yes I am planning to build a solar car

for my 2006 project. I figure it will take maybe 1-2 years to get it complete. I have 6 of the solar panels so far and hope to get enough for the project. 100+

Of course wiring them together is another story but you have to start somewhere.

My overall plan is to build it from these VW used/recycled solar panels.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 05:24:56 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 06:29:18 AM »
You may want to look at Jerry's truck for some good pic's of an EV.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/5/1/32619/32286

With 100 VW PVs, thats about 20 amps at best.

Great, maybe almost too much, for an electic go-cart or bicycle/moped.

But it won't move a road worthy car very far at all.

And the VW PVs don't look exactly weatherproof to me.

You may want to do some serious calculator work,

with what you want it to do when it is done,

what it takes to do that,

then relate all of that to money.

G-

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 06:29:18 AM by (unknown) »

Jesse

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 04:43:38 AM »
Yea, It looks like I will be able to do this with a 1 hp motor,if I can get enough panels. By solar car I mean a go-cart type project. Not a Toyota whatever converted.

Of course I have some gearing issues to address also. I plan on mounting them just as they were intended inside the car. The body will be made from clear plexiglass.

I know this will cause some voltage loss but they are not water proof and I have yet to figure out another way to mount them.

Peace
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 04:43:38 AM by (unknown) »