Author Topic: Automatic Power Switch  (Read 861 times)

edy252

Automatic Power Switch
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:02:13 PM »
Hi all...

I know i could just have bought an automatic power switch, but making one is much more fun....i made it for my computer since the switch between the grid and the generator is a bit far........so every time the power's off i have to go and switch it. I figured out it could be made bigger........using it for a house for example and between any other sources (battery bank - inverter, etc.)

Here's the schematic

We actually use the same neutral wire for both generator and grid.......although it's not very good to do that.

Comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 01:02:13 PM by (unknown) »

maker of toys

Re: Automatic Power Switch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:59:26 PM »
you can also do the same sort of thing with a switch for the neutral, too, for effectively no change in complexity. . .  just add another contactor.  Safer, not much more expensive.

I personally would rather see the genset completely isolated from the grid. (I'm guessing so would your utility linemen)

Others have pointed out the kiss factor of making a 'patch cord' for your critical loads, and having to physically move it from grid to gen and back.  (so much for automatic)

also, seems like you'd have to wander out to the genset to get it started up, so incremetal effort to operate the plug or manual switch seems trivial.  Am I missing something?  (autostart genset, mayhaps?)

<g>

but!

if you're going to use a common neutral, be sure and tie the generator to a good earth ground!  (the gen neutral, too. . .) that way you don't end up doing wierd things  to the system on switch-over or maybe wind up with the neutral to the rest of the world winding up with some potentially lethal offset from ground.  (zap.. .  OUCH!)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 10:59:26 PM by (unknown) »

Walt

Re: Automatic Power Switch
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »
edy

could you explain you schematic and components? what type of transformer are you using? i don't follow how this is an automatic switch or is it?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 10:51:43 PM by (unknown) »