Author Topic: My plan for control and storage of power generated by the wind-Gen.  (Read 1012 times)

seanchan00

Hi Guys,

This is how I planned to wire my battery bank for charging and daily use. Because practically for most of the time there is no one at the scene of the wind generator to check, my system has to be as bug free as possible. Please pick through my plan and expose all the possible weaknesses so I know I can sleep while only checking my system once or twice a week. Thanks a lot in advance.

Battery Bank.

This consists of essentially two separate sets of 2 X 6V Trojan T-105's. One I bought new 2 yrs ago( name it Bat B ) and one I salvaged from a golf club discard and desulphated (so I named it Bat S). I can only assume they are of unequal capacity in ampere-hours. I intend to use both separately.

The better one (purchased) will be used to power an automobile CD player with amplifier. A timer to will control this, to be on 14 hrs a day and it consumes average 3 amperes which adds up to 42 AH a day.

The salvaged one will be used to power two 20-watt fluorescent lights and an electric fence energizer. This adds up to 3.5 amps so that makes 84 AH a day since it will be on all the time.

My requirements adds up to 126 AH a day which works out to be average 63 watts an hr or 1512 watts a day. Based on a 2-meter diameter machine giving about 50 watts average output in a typical 10 mph wind speed my 8 feet diameter wind gen should bear the burden easily.

My charging of the batteries will be by two separate sets of fused positive and negative wires. The positive wires will be connected through a set of 6 diodes of 5 amp rating paralleled to make 30 amps rating for each positive wire. My theory is that the diodes will allow the wind power to charge the batteries but when the wind is not blowing the two battery sets will be kept apart by the diodes. The battery sets are then connected separately to their respective end use with a fuse in between.

Shunt Regulator.

My shunt regulator will be connected to the better Bat B since it should take more in AH and should be fully charged later. Anyway since the two sets are connected "in terms of power going in" to the batteries there is a path to charge Bat S when Bat B is near full and showing increasing resistance. Connected  to the shunt regulator will be my two old car batteries to be charged as spare and similarly kept apart by paralleled diodes of 15 amps each positive wire. Further on in parallel to these two batteries will be my shunt load, a series of 20-watt fluorescent lights and car tail lights. I am banking on the diodes to prevent the reserve batteries from lighting up the shunt load.

I think I have covered all aspects. (:>)

SeanChan.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 11:09:05 AM by (unknown) »

K3CZ

Re: My plan for control and storage of power gener
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:02:37 AM »
I hope you are remembering that the T105's are 6 volt each, and your loads must be tailored to this fact. (Most loads are 12v rated) How were you planning to charge these batts? If they are anywheres near equal in characteristics, charging in series (14v)  is the way to go(I don't think parallel will work at at all) I think your extensive arrangements devoted to equalization are a bit of overkill, but you do need to provide at least a genny load dump when the batts are full.  All the rest can be dealt with in general terms, monitoring the batteries at least once a day for charge level.

Van    K3CZ
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:02:37 AM by (unknown) »

seanchan00

Re: My plan for control and storage of power gener
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
Thanks Van    K3CZ

I am charging at 14V as I have 2 sets of 2 x 6 V T-105s.

SeanChan.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 05:35:14 PM by (unknown) »