Author Topic: voltage regulator  (Read 966 times)

cdog

voltage regulator
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:29:15 AM »
I have dreams of building a wind turbine similar to the 10 foot stlye on otherpower.

I would like to build one for 12 volt. I have read that 40-50 plus volts directly into a 12 volt battery will not damage it, i think i understand the concept but it still seems a little strange to me. My idea is to use a trace c-60 as a dump load controller. Does this unit regulate voltage down fron the high newly rectified ac to 12-14 volt dc, or just let the 40 plus volts into the battery and when it reaches a set point simply dump the high volts to the dump load?? If this is so, my second question is could I use a large voltage regulator from an alternator like a large leece-neville before the c-60, then the battery would receive only 14.2 volts and the dump load wouldnt need a battery or some other type of shunt to soften the blow?? I read that 12 volt heaters would be destroyed from 40-50 plus volts, and i was hoping to use this or a 12 volt hot water heater element for my dump load. Thanks for your hel and time,

Chester.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:29:15 AM by (unknown) »

seanchan00

Re: voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 09:50:46 PM »
The Battery will hold the V down to 12 or 13V till full charge when it start to rise. That's when the shunt regulator comes in to divert the power to lights etc so your Bat won't burn up by overcharge.

SeanChan.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:50:46 PM by (unknown) »