Author Topic: Performance logging. DC amp surge suppression  (Read 872 times)

Dreadstar

Performance logging. DC amp surge suppression
« on: October 27, 2005, 03:38:59 AM »
How do you record or log peak watts amp hours into a bank using intermittent current source generator?

I have one of the surplus treadmill motors and am going to be putting it on a static trainer and pedal a bicycle with it. i can get it to surge up to 10 amps.

So how can i smooth out the amp surge on this? (Capacitors) If caps will work for this how many uf do i need and what voltage would be good for this application?

Also what would be the best type of capacitor to use?

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 03:38:59 AM by (unknown) »

maker of toys

Re: Performance logging. DC amp surge suppression
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:15:19 PM »
how smooth do you want it?  the smoother you want the output, the bigger your cap bank needs to be;  there comes a point when a battery is the correct answer.

in any case, if you're pedaling constantly with the goal of powering something with a fairly heavy draw (a television, maybe?), or don't care too much about leakage rates, electrolytic capacitors are your best bet.  

If you're planning to pedal for 30 seconds and power an LED reading light for the rest of the day, then some form of super capacitor or ultracapacitor is better, but you'll need to pay CLOSE attention to charge rates and maximum voltages.

-Dan

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 12:15:19 PM by (unknown) »