Author Topic: 1st time very basic wiring help  (Read 991 times)

(unknown)

1st time very basic wiring help
« on: February 11, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »
Sorry if this is familiar I wrote it a little earlier but I don't think I posted it.  I've got a reconditioned GM alternator from a late 70,s model.  I want to setup as a small generator with it using a belt drive to a little go-cart motor. It's a small experiment with my teen and we're first timers.  Want to be sure we don't do something obviously stupid.  I was going to use a small old prop and pulleys but well have more fun with the gas engine.  

Can we use the power and bracket ground leads to a battery and either shed that load directly all the time or through a battery and to dump?  What should I do with the #1 and #2 leads?

Also can I run it backward a automotive battery charger as an invertor and get 110v low current out?  How?

I think I'm going to get the alternator spinning somewhere around it's intended idle speed and that probably makes 12 to 14vDC and 50 amps or something like that.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 03:27:34 PM by (unknown) »

Opera House

Re: 1st time very basic wiring help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 09:22:54 AM »
Im a Ford guy myself, the internal regulators for these are turned on by applying power to the pilot light.  That fact eludes a lot of people who try to get these to work.  Not sure about GM or even if this has an internal regulator.  Applying 12V directly to the field is the method to get the highest voltage out. Be aware that this id DC and could destroy many devices.  Even electric drills with speed controls will not work on DC.  Even if you connect directly to the coils for AC, the frequency will be too high for some electronics to work.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:22:54 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:23:08 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Just came back from the shack with a consumer brand 300W output 12vdc to 120vac invertor.  I've got an internal regulator on this one and I think I can run from the alternator to the invertor for 120v AC out and see what that does.  If I can get it up to speed for voltage I should be able to get something out of it.

Years ago I did a fair bit of auto electrical, but never tried building a generator of any type.  Any other input would be great and thanks again.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:23:08 PM by (unknown) »

ElSenator

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 02:35:31 PM »
This is a pretty good source for info on this.

http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:35:31 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:02:26 AM »
Thanks so much.  TheEpicenter.com link is exactly what we were looking for.  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:02:26 AM by (unknown) »