Author Topic: Bostonmountain charge controller  (Read 1427 times)

Propwash

Bostonmountain charge controller
« on: March 01, 2006, 08:20:01 PM »
 After doing some searches I noticed that a few people have been using these controllers. Bostonmountain is the only pulse controller that I can find that will handle 100amps at 12 volts. Any input on these controllers would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:20:01 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Bostonmountain charge controller
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 02:42:40 PM »
Kevin:

If you are asking a question about a product, please indicate the model of it as well as the web page to see what you are trying to "marry" to.

A divorce may be costly.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:42:40 PM by (unknown) »

Propwash

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 03:29:25 PM »
 Sorry about that Nando. I had all intentions of adding a link to this post but forgot to do so. The controller is called a charge-max 3000. Here is a link to the E-Bay listing of this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARGE-CONTROLLER-3000W-12-24-V-NEW-Wind-Solar-32-48_W0QQitemZ6040018925QQcatego
ryZ41980QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We talked about a smaller version of this controller a few months ago. At that time the people at Bostonmountain told me they were working on a larger unit. I didn't realize that some of the folks on here were currently using these controllers. I was hoping to hear from some of those users as to how these controllers were performing.

Kevin

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:29:25 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »
If I remember right it is one working at around 300 Hz, pulsed and the company very carefully is trying to put down MPPT which by definition is the optimum charging system,

The way I think it is, is like a Xantrex C60.

From my point of view is just a switch that pulses to maintain the charged battery at a level - Completely different from a Outback MX60 which is a dual choke PWM charger with good charging profile.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:04:05 PM by (unknown) »

Titantornado

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:42:07 AM »
> "Bostonmountain is the only pulse controller that I can find

>  that will handle 100amps at 12 volts."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Flexcharge NCHC-12-100 fit your discription above?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 06:42:07 AM by (unknown) »

Scotth

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 07:31:40 AM »
I've ordered the largest one they have for a 12 volt system as I was looking for something that would take more amperage than the C-60.The price is right but they seem to have some some issues with shipping (verrrrry slow).When/if it shows up I'll post some results.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:31:40 AM by (unknown) »

Propwash

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:03 AM »
Hi Rod, I don't think the Flex Charge controller is a Pulse controller. Pulse Width Modulation, from what I am reading is a good feature to have in a controller. I am no electrical engineer but as I understand it PWM controllers taper off the charge to a battery bank and divert the rest to dump load. The controller then adds a pulse charge as needed to maintain the preselected battery voltage. Supposedly this pulsing feature restores damaged batteries and makes good batteries last longer.  Other controllers take the full charge and either send it to the battery bank or to dump load. They do not taper off the charge to the battery bank or provide a pulse charge to maintain the selected battery voltage. They wait untill battery voltage drops to a low voltage setting and then apply the full incoming charge to the batteries untill the high voltage divert mode is reached. There is much more to it than what I have explained. Most of the charge controller manufacturers have detailed information on thier web sites if you are willing to read through it all.

If I understand Nando's post correctly he doesn't feel that this Bostonmountain controller is a PWM controller. As far as I know the only two that have this PWM technology are the Outback and Morning Star controllers.

Kevin

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:58:03 AM by (unknown) »

Propwash

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »
Scott, good luck getting your controller. Looking forward to your input.

Kevin

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 11:01:32 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 04:56:31 AM »
I was just looking at a listing for one of there controllers on e-bay myself. Not a bad price and selectable for 12V or 24V battery banks and other neat features it sounds like. Will be very interseted in more info on these also myself since I will be using all 3 volts  12, 24, 48, for various banks for varous uses.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:56:31 AM by (unknown) »