Author Topic: Question for Electronics Guru's  (Read 1535 times)

christopher

Question for Electronics Guru's
« on: March 18, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »
I have come across a Trace U 2512SB Inverter for sale at US$200.00 and was wondering if this sounds like a fair price?  The unit was working perfectly before being stored away, (battery bank died and was not replaced), but this has not been fired up for 8 years.  Would much appreciate any views on wether you think this is worth the trouble (and the $200.00), to try?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Christopher

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:49:00 PM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Question for Electronics Guru's
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 06:06:16 PM »
200 bucks for a 12v.  2.5kw inverter!!

think they go for over 1.400 bucks new..

real steal--if you don"t want it send it my way......

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:06:16 PM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

windstuffnow

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:26:25 PM »
  I purchase my 2512 several years back for 950 and thought I got a good deal.   I'd jump on it as long as it was stored inside.   You might pull the cover on it and make sure there are no nests built inside before firing it up.  It's a gamble and you have to take the person selling it by their word but 200 bux is a mighty fine deal.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:26:25 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:06:40 AM »
I think those are the best bang for the buck in inverters these days.  YOu see them go on ebay for $300 - 400 frequently which is a great deal ($200 is a steal).  Its nice if it has the charger feature, I guess not all of them do.  They seem rock solid, there's never been one fail up here and there are several around.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:06:40 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

christopher

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 12:10:27 PM »
Thanks guy's for the replies.  Three months ago I would have snapped this up without too much fore thought, but nine weeks ago I broke and dislocated my left wrist, so no income since then,and therefore funds are tight.  Going to try my best to see if I can get it before someone else gets it.  These deals always seem to come along at the time you cannot afford them.

Trying to have fun,

Christopher
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:10:27 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:04:21 AM »
I see these go pretty often on ebay for $300ish...  so no great rush, you can almost always get a good deal on one if your willing to wait a week or two for one to come 'round.  But $200 is exceptionally cheap for one I think.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 07:04:21 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

christopher

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »
Thanks Dan, but the $200.00 is probably a better buy for me than even it looks to you.  Because of getting one off of eBay at even $300.00, I would have to pay shipping to the Bahamas, plus approximately 42% duty on Electronics(which is also paid on the shipping charges), so that by the time I actually receive it, the charges would then put it at between $500.-$600.00!  

I was more worried about the electronics after sitting for approximately 8 years and perhaps capacitors or some of the other electronics failing from the lack of use.

Thanks again,

Christopher

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:55:03 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:07:27 PM »
"I was more worried about the electronics after sitting for approximately 8 years and perhaps capacitors or some of the other electronics failing from the lack of use."

That would be what I was thinking also. Never had the problem with inverters myself, but other items I have. Had a great old 23 Channel CB I bought new, worked perfect when I put it away well stored. Few years later I hooked it up and nothing. A few other items same thing. Worked perfect when put away, dead when I tried to use it later.

I would ask to see it work if posible, politely mention electronics can die from just setting unused at times. Take the needed batteries with you if you have too. Make sure it fires up right and run a decent load a few minutes, maybe a cheap 1500 watt heat gun or the wifes hair dryer, maybe make some toast :)

I am geussing it's local enough to you your not having it shipped in?

Before buying a Matrix 5000 from E-bay I made sure I could see it work before paying for it myself, then drove the 800+ miles (one way) to get it. Nice vacation. And shipping on that item would have been $300 anyway.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 10:07:27 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »
Hi All,

iv been dismantling F + P machines and rebuilding some for friends

Im very impressed with the intelegence in design.

I have used a motor as a wind genny.

I was after circut diagrams for the pcb's

i would like to understand how they work and modify

one to control a motor on low voltag for an electric

viehcle.

Thanking You

adr47587@bigpond.net.au

Tony.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 06:42:58 PM by (unknown) »