Author Topic: UPS and big 28V alternator  (Read 962 times)

davesilva

UPS and big 28V alternator
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:32:13 PM »
Hey Ya'll,

I'm new here but I've been peeking on this site for some time.  I'm working on a project some of you may find interesting.  I'd welcome any questions or suggestions.

A while back I bought a bunch of LARGE ups' at a govt. auction. They put out 2500 watts  at 110 AC from a bank of batteries providing 24 volts.

Of course ups are not designed for continuous duty but I think with improved cooling they will do ok.

I recently aquired a bunch of 28 volt alternators from the same auction.

THe plan is to put one of the alternators on my van (keeping original alternator) and provide charging power to the UPS.

I know using a 200 hp motor to drive a 20 amp generator is not best use of machines but  the parts were all pretty much free and I think the results will be pretty cool.

I don't have much use for remote power and I hate little noisy generators so this will be a nice solution.

Look forward to hearing from anyone

Dave

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:32:13 PM by (unknown) »

asheets

Re: UPS and big 28V alternator
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:33:01 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your UPS and alternator lots at the govt (I assume federal) auction?  I really like govt auctions for all sorts of stuff -- my preference is for Department of Defense auctions, except for the fact that some of these sites are so contaminated that a cigarette butt dropped on the dirt will start an inferno. :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:33:01 PM by (unknown) »

davesilva

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 06:03:45 AM »
The trick is finding lots in the right quantity for my cash flow.

I paid $65 for a pallet of UPS of which five worked, I traded and sold a few.  One of them put out 220 VAC at 3000 VA

The alternators were $100 for a lot of 16

www.govliquidation.com

enjoy

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 06:03:45 AM by (unknown) »

davesilva

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 07:23:54 AM »
I'm watching several govt. auctions for more large UPSs. mostly in the mid atlantic area.

If anyone is interested in these let me know maybe something can be worked out.

A 3000 VA ups will weight around 120 lb with battereis.  Shipping via UPS ground is around $150 to midwest or west coast.

1000 to 1400 watt UPS are plentiful and you can hardly give them away.  I thought maybe folks here would be interested in some experiments.

dave

dave@davesilva.com

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 07:23:54 AM by (unknown) »