Author Topic: C-60 diversion question  (Read 953 times)

Sparky01

C-60 diversion question
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
Hello to all, I have just connected a pair of C-60 diversion controlers to my off grid system. I wanted to equalize my batteries with my Prosine 2.5 Inverter/Charger so I initiated equalize on the charger and on the C-60's and then checked it latter to find that it was dump loading. I have not changed the factory setting on the charge controler but am thinking that that may be the only thing I can do. But I do not want to change settings too much because it is rare that use my genset to equalize. Has anyone else run into this?  Any input would be great.

Free RE in Unity

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:06:11 PM by (unknown) »

altosack

Re: C-60 diversion question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:46:39 AM »
Hello Free,

I'm not sure what your normal charging source is that needs the diversion load, but I assume that it is not producing now, and this is why you are equalizing with your generator.

As long as you are sure that your primary source will not produce too much so that your batteries will gas too much during equalizing, a simple solution is to just flip the breakers off on your C60s; this will of course disable their diversion function, just be sure to keep an eye on the operation just in case your normal charging source should start doing its thing.

Another possibility (and a bit safer and hands off) is to push the manual equalize button on one of the C60s, while turning the other off (flipping its breaker). This will allow the equalize voltage that you need, and will regulate it from producing too much. I don't know much about the charger in your ProSine, but I would trust the equalize function in your C60s more. Anyway, if you can set the max amps that the charger will allow through, just set it below your diversion load from one C60, and set the charge controller voltage regulation above the C60 regulation (something above 15.2 V should do it). This may waste a bit of generator power, but you can play with the max amps that the charger allows through to lessen this.

Best,

Dave

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:46:39 AM by (unknown) »

SamoaPower

Re: C-60 diversion question
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
Yes, this is predictable. Since you say you do this seldom, I don't see why you don't want to reset the set point on the C-60.

Are you running both C-60s in parallel in diversion mode? If so, you will probably have a problem with the charge algorithm operating correctly. See:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/8/8/22439/24159

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:12:01 PM by (unknown) »